Rev. William Thompson House (1847)

william-thompson.JPG

Built in 1847, on Main Street in East Windsor Hill, by the Theological Institute of Connecticut as a residence for its Chair of Biblical Literature, Rev. William Thompson. The Institute sold the home to Rev. Thompson when it moved to Hartford in 1865 (it is now known as the Hartford Theological Seminary). Rev. Thompson came from Goshen and, according to Williston Walker’s A History of the Congregational Churches in the United States (1894), his “connection with the seminary lasted till his death, in 1889, and to his wisdom, patience, self-denial, and teaching skill, whatever success the institution has had is chiefly due.”

Travelers Insurance Company (1928) and Hartford-Connecticut Trust Company (1920)

travelers-ct-trust.jpg

Two 1920s Colonial Revival skyscrapers, on Central Row in Hartford, across from the Old State House, exemplify an architectural style based on the classical column, with the upper stories corresponding to a column’s capital. The classical detailing on both buildings link them stylistically to the nearby Old State House.

The Hartford-Connecticut Trust Company Building (on the Right), designed by the firm of Morris & O’Connor, was built in 1920. The company was created in 1919 as a merger of the Connecticut Trust and Safe Deposit Company and the Hartford Trust Company. In 1954, it merged with Phoenix Bank to become Connecticut Bank and Trust Company. The structure on the roof, which looks like a classical building itself, once contained a restaurant. The Travelers Insurance Company Building (on the Left) was built in 1928 along similar lines.

Hartford-Connecticut Trust Company Building

Aaron Grant, Jr. House (1786)

aaron-grant-jr-1786.JPG

Built in 1786, on Main Street in East Windsor Hill (now in South Windsor) by Aaron Grant, Jr., a carpenter who served in the Revolutionary War. His father, the senior Aaron Grant, had worked on the Ebeneezer Grant House. In 1835, the house was purchased by Joshua Risley, a wagon-maker. He added the second floor to what was originally a one-story gambrel-roofed building. A Greek Revival doorway was also added.