Bridgeport

bridgeport.jpg

Buildings Index

Arctic Street
301 Calvin Lines House (1872)

Atlantic Street
374-384 Charles H. Russell Block (1882)
404-412 Elisha Parish-James M. Jones House (1882)

Bank Street
102 Morris Plan Bank (1924)

Barnum Avenue
200 Nathan Gould House (1856)
235 Washington Park Church (1883)
269-271 John Wessels-Chauncey Morton House (1869)
281 Augustus Dupee House (1872)
311 George Richardson House (1887)
319 Park Street Congregational Church/Calvary Temple Christian Center (1871)
361 Claudius R. Hayward House (1868)
385 A. W. Burritt House (1892)
408 George Hayes House (1874)

Beechwood Avenue
450 William Leigh House (1892)
457 James Dunn House (1914)

Brewster Street
51 Smedley and Sturges Storehouse (1772)
237 Captain Thomas Ransom House (1839)
259-261 David Smith House (1843)
268 John Wheeler House (1720)
283 George Palmer House (1840)

Broad Street
256-270 (1879)
1042 D.M. Read Company (1925)
1074-1092 North Side Properties Building (1942)

Brooklawn Avenue
36 Mrs. Andrew E. Nash House (1896)

Calderwood Court
4 William Bouton House (1838)

Cannon Street
49 Post Building (1892)

Clinton Avenue
528 Salem H. Wales House (1848)
555 Deacon David Sherwood House (1830)
558 Edwin T. Bartram House (1911)
622 Second Edward G. Greening House (1912)
640 Israel J. Cohn House (1919)
720 Clifford B. Wilson House (1915)
734 Lacey R. Blackman House (1916)
754 Edward K. Nicholson House (1915)
782 Arthur W. Burritt House (1915)
800 George T. Hetheway House (1915)
820 Angus H. MacKenzie House (1911)
850 F. Merton Hammond House (1906)
893 Albert S. Wells House (1903)

Colorado Avenue
695 St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church (1940)

East Main Street
1510 Holy Ghost Orthodox Church (1937)

East Washington Street
480 Dr. Edward Fitzgerald House (1901)
512 P.L. Perry House (1865)
526-534 (1882)
540 Bethesda Mission (1866)

Ellsworth Street
87 Captain William Hall House (1856)
100 Joseph Smith House (1904)
110 George Gould House (1896)
118 Arthur Smith House (1893)
140 Captain John Brittin House (1836)
213 Captain Charles Allen House (1854)
228 Oliver Burr House (1853)
245 Curtis Raymond House (1856)
250 Eliphalet Walker House (1855)

Fairfield Avenue
140 Hotel Barnum (1928)
768 St. John’s Episcopal Church (1875)

Hackley Street
34 Henry Bunce House (1893)

Iranistan Avenue
84 Arnold Bernhard Arts and Humanities Center (University of Bridgeport) (1972)

Kossuth Street
580-584 (1889)
598 St. Paul’s Episcopal Church (1868)
616-618 William & Stephen Conger House (1854)

Lafayette Avenue
299 Seaside Institute (1887)

Laurel Avenue
814 Morris I. Rome House (1925)
834 T. Smith McLean House (1914)

Lyon Terrace
45 Bridgeport City Hall (Former Bridgeport Central High School) (1916)

Main Street
820 Barnum Museum (1893)
850 Bridgeport Center (1989)
930 Mechanics and Farmers Savings Bank (1930)
944-952 City Savings Bank of Bridgeport (1914)
955 Bridgeport City Trust Building (1929)

Maplewood Avenue
552 Ernest W. Hanke House (1915)

Marina Park Circle
66 Charles B. Read House (1892)
82 Levi W. Eaton House (1893)

Mill Hill Avenue
364 Saint John the Baptist Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church (1945)

Milne Street
128 Michael Casey House (1896)

Noble Avenue
335 William H. Perry House (1857)
373 S.C. Kingman House (1870)
401 Moses Redshaw House (1887)
409 Eli Dewhurst House (1886)

North Avenue
2137 Gerhard F. Drouve House (1914)
2148 Isaac Fowler House (1888)
2195 Charles Levin House (1919)
2209 George H. White House (1897)
2221 Herbert E. Wood House (1903)
2333 Edgar W. Hurlock House (1909)
2345 Leonard Asheim House (1910)
2403 George W. Jackman House (1892)
2429 William L. Cook House (1903)

Park Avenue
219 Lavinia L. Parmly House (1890)
285 John G. Howland House (1902)

Seabright Avenue
119-121 William and George Gould House (1875)

State Street
149-165 Bridgeport Savings Bank (1917)
177-189 Barnum-Thompson and Staples Buildings (1892)
202 Old City Hall/McLevy Hall (1854)
211 Court Exchange Building (1896)

Thompson Street
170 St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church (1913)

Washington Avenue
126 First Baptist Church (1893)
359 Cathedral of St. Augustine (1868)
431-449 Edinburgh Crescent (1889)
499 Goodwin Stoddard House (1877)
515 Enoch P. Hincks House (1894)

Lighthouses

Fayerweather Island Light (Black Rock Harbor) (1823)
Stratford Shoal Light (Long Island Sound) (1877)
Tongue Point Light (Bridgeport Harbor) (1895)

Links

Bridgeport Public Library Historical Collections Department
http://bportlibrary.org/hc/

The Hidden History of Bridgeport
http://www.hiddenhistoryofbridgeport.com/

Bridgeport Working: Voices from the 20th Century
http://www.bridgeporthistory.org/

Bridgeport Connecticut History Photo Archive
http://www.hellobridgeport.com/History.Cfm

Bridgeport History in Postcards
http://bridgeport.ct.schoolwebpages.com/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectiondetailid=20212

Bridgeport History Links
http://bridgeport.ct.schoolwebpages.com/education/components/links/links.php?sectiondetailid=2766

Bridgeport In the Know
http://www.bridgeportintheknow.com/

Bridgeport, Connecticut: Then & Now (YouTube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6drNZN23aLU

The Barnum Museum
http://www.barnum-museum.org/

Bridgeport Central High School History
http://bridgeport.ct.schoolwebpages.com/education/school/schoolhistory.php?sectiondetailid=2764

The Carpathian Connection: Bridgeport, CT
http://www.tccweb.org/bridgeport.htm

St. Augustine Cemetery
http://www.lynchonline.com/cemetery_bridgeport_st_augustine.php

Discovery Museum
http://www.discoverymuseum.org/

Housatonic Museum of Art
http://www.hctc.commnet.edu/artmuseum/

University of Bridgeport
https://www.bridgeport.edu/pages/1.asp

Books

A History of the Old Town of Stratford and the City of Bridgeport, Connecticut, Part I (1886), By Samuel Orcutt

A History of the Old Town of Stratford and the City of Bridgeport, Connecticut, Part II (1886), By Samuel Orcutt

The Standard’s History of Bridgeport (1897)

Selected chapters on the history of Bridgeport (1935)

History of Black Rock, 1644-1955 (1955)

Glimpses of Bridgeport, Conn (1898), introduction by Salmon Goodsell, under the authority of the Board of Trade

Bridgeport and East Bridgeport Directory (1857-8)

History of Bridgeport and Vicinity, Vol. 1 (1917), edited by George Curtis Waldo

History of Bridgeport and Vicinity, Vol. 2 (1917), edited by George Curtis Waldo

Year Book of the Bridgeport Board of Trade (1905)

More Houses for Bridgeport: Report to the Chamber of Commerce, Bridgeport, Conn. (1915), by John Nolen, City Planner

Better city planning for Bridgeport: some fundamental proposals to the City Plan Commission (1916), by John Nolen

Lots about lots; or, The great fair, and what preceded it: Sold for the benefit of the Mountain Grove Cemetery (1879)

Fifty years of the Bridgeport Savings Bank of Bridgeport, Connecticut (1892)

House-warming at the new Howland store, Bridgeport, November 18th to 21st, 1908 (1908)

The Bi-Centennial Celebration of the First Congregational Church and Society of Bridgeport, Connecticut (1895), by Charles Ray Palmer

Two Hundred Fifty Years, the Story of the United Congregational Church of Bridgeport, 1695-1945 (1945), by Lucy S. Curtiss

List of Birds Found in the Vicinity of Bridgeport, Connecticut (1892), by C. K. Averill, Jr.

Share Button