The Connecticut State Library and Supreme Court Building (1910)

state-library-and-supreme-court.JPG

Located on Capitol Avenue in Hartford, right across from the State Capitol building, Connecticut’s State Library and Supreme Court Building was constructed in 1908-1910. It was designed by the New York architect, Donn Barber, in a style influenced by the Italian Renaissance. The statues above the front entrance, installed in 1913, are figures of Justice, History, Art and Science, sculpted by Michel Louis Tonnetti. The building’s East Wing houses the State Library, while the West Wing houses the Supreme Court. Between the two wings is Memorial Hall, which is home to the Museum of Connecticut History. As with the neighboring State Capitol, visitors can take tours of the Supreme Court.

Gail Borden Munsill House (1895)

gail-borden-munsill.JPG

After completing her home on Wethersfield Avenue in Hartford in 1893, Mary Borden Munsill had one built next door for her son, Gail Borden Munsill. The home, completed in 1895, is constructed using yellow brick, which gives it a distinctive appearance. The son’s house, unlike the mother’s, is less ornate and, with its greater smoothness and symmetricality, looks ahead to the Colonial Revival style.

Calvin Day House (1852)

calvin-day.JPG

Built in 1852 for Calvin Day, on Spring Street, on Asylum Hill in Hartord. A typical Italianate example, with a slightly visible cupola, the Calvin Day House has lost its original gray color and much of its ornamentation. Calvin Day, a successful dry goods merchant, was the father of John Calvin Day, who married Alice Hooker, the daughter of John and Isabella Beecher Hooker. John and Alice’s daughter, Katharine Seymour Day, would preserve the Harriet Beecher Stowe and Day-Chamberlain Houses in the Nook Farm neighborhood of Hartford. Since 1929, the house has served as the Gray Lodge of the Shelter for Women.

Robinson-Smith House (1864)

robinson-smith.JPG

Built in 1864, on Charter Oak Place in Hartford, the Robinson-Smith house was occupied simultaneously by the families of two flour merchants, who were business partners of Charles Northam, Charles Robinson and James Smith. The house is quite extravagant for a double house and features aspects of different revival styles, including an Italianate cupola and a Second Empire mansard roof. The house’s original symmetricality has been altered by the additions on the left side (south elevation).