Charles Jarvis House (1887)

At 422 Main Street in Portland is a house built in 1887 for Charles L. Jarvis and his wife, Louisa. Jarvis, whose father father was secretary and treasurer of the Middlesex Quarry Company, founded the Charles Jarvis Company, now called Jarvis Airfoil. Designed by David R. Brown of New Haven, the house has recently been repainted by its current owners in authentic Victorian-era colors, which highlight the home’s decorative detailing. (more…)

The Jarvis-Hotchkiss House (1838)

The Jarvis-Hotchkiss House, at 138-140 Washington Street in Middletown, is a late Greek Revival building constructed around 1838. The house is also known as the Elijah Hubbard Roberts House. Roberts (1795-1871), who married Emily Matilda Pratt in 1823, became a successful merchant in New York and returned to live in Middletown in 1856. The house was acquired by Rev. William Jarvis, rector of Christ Church, in 1853. On June 6, 1856, the wedding reception of Elizabeth Jarvis and Samuel Colt took place here. The cast-iron railing above the porch was added to the house by Emily Stedman, who bought the property in 1861. The house is now used as a commercial building.

The Camp-Meigs House (1760)

The Camp-Meigs House, at 40 Main Street in Durham, is thought to have been built around 1760. It was probably built by Samuel Camp, who had gotten married in 1758 and then inherited the property from his father, John Camp, in 1767. It was later passed to Samuel’s son, Ozias, and then to Ozias’s daughter Mary and her husband, Phineas Meigs. The house was later owned by the Seward family from 1890-1964 and in 1980 was extensively rebuilt to become Camp’s Tavern restaurant. Today, the house is used as offices.

Joseph H.K. Miller House (1875)

Built around 1875, the Italianate house at 3341-43 Whitney Avenue in Hamden was built for Joseph H.K. Miller. He was employed by the Mount Carmel axle works factory of Frederick Ives, part of the New Haven area’s carriage building industry. By 1880, Joseph’s brother, Willis E. Miller, became a partner in the company, which was thereafter known as Ives and Miller. The factory was in operation until 1907.

A Former Church on Market Street in Hartford (1855)

The only surviving nineteenth-century building on Market Street in Hartford is a former church building at no. 125. It was built in 1855 as St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, a mission to the immigrants who once lived on Hartford’s East Side. In 1880, it was sold and became the German Lutheran Church of the Reformation. In 1898, it became St. Anthony’s Roman Catholic Church, which served the neighborhood’s Italian-American population. In 1958, St. Anthony’s merged with St. Patrick’s Church and the former St. Anthony’s Church building became a Catholic information center. Today, it is used by Catholic Charities Migration and Refugee Services. The church no longer has its original steps up to what was once the front door.

At the church’s northeast corner is an eighteenth-century grave, protected by a deed restriction. As described in Commemorative Exercises of the First church of Christ in Hartford, at its Two Hundred and Fiftieth Anniversary (1883), “The monument of Dr. Norman Morison, who died in 1761, and was buried in his own garden, still stands in front of St. Paul’s church on Market street, with that of another of his family.” Dr. Norman Morrison (1690-1761) had a property that stretched to Main Street. His house there was later moved to Trumbull Street.