Built by the Ellsworth family around 1807, the Pierson House is on Palisado Avenue in Windsor, across from the Green. The house was purchased in 1819 by Dr. William S. Pierson. Today it is owned by the First Church in Windsor.
Silas W. Robbins House (1873)
Silas Webster Robbins, a partner in the seed business, Johnson, Robbins and Co., built an impressive Second Empire style mansion on Broad Street Green in Wethersfield in 1873. Damaged by fire in 1996, the home was purchased in 2001 by new owners, who have restored it. The Silas W. Robbins House will open as a bed-and-breakfast on November 1, and a number of gala events are planned for this month, including daily house tours, Oct. 6-Oct. 14, to benefit the Keane Foundation.
John Millard House (1790)
In 1858, John Millard bought a brick Federal-style house on South Main Street in West Hartford. The date of the house’s construction is not known, but land records indicate a sale of this land in 1790 with a house and barn in existence. Part of the property was purchased in 1821 by James Hurlbut. John Millard, like his relative Samuel Millard, had a farm along South Main Street. Millard and then his daughter lived in the house until 1921, when it was bought by the current owner’s grandparents.
Capt. John Bulkeley House (1820)

Built in 1820, on Main Street in Wethersfield, for Capt. John Bulkeley, who had commanded a schooner during the American Revolution. It was later owned by Dr. Abner Warner, a surgeon who served in the 16th Connecticut Volunteer Regiment during the Civil War. The house is transitional between the Federal and Greek Revival styles.
(more…)Rev. William Thompson House (1847)
Built in 1847, on Main Street in East Windsor Hill, by the Theological Institute of Connecticut as a residence for its Chair of Biblical Literature, Rev. William Thompson. The Institute sold the home to Rev. Thompson when it moved to Hartford in 1865 (it is now known as the Hartford Theological Seminary). Rev. Thompson came from Goshen and, according to Williston Walker’s A History of the Congregational Churches in the United States (1894), his “connection with the seminary lasted till his death, in 1889, and to his wisdom, patience, self-denial, and teaching skill, whatever success the institution has had is chiefly due.”
The John Gaylord House (1772)
Located on Palisado Avenue in Windsor, the John Gaylord House was built in 1772. John Gaylord‘s ancestors were French Huguenots who had emigrated to England in the 1550s. The Gaylord family was one of the first to settle in Windsor.
Aaron Grant, Jr. House (1786)
Built in 1786, on Main Street in East Windsor Hill (now in South Windsor) by Aaron Grant, Jr., a carpenter who served in the Revolutionary War. His father, the senior Aaron Grant, had worked on the Ebeneezer Grant House. In 1835, the house was purchased by Joshua Risley, a wagon-maker. He added the second floor to what was originally a one-story gambrel-roofed building. A Greek Revival doorway was also added.
You must be logged in to post a comment.