Trinity Episcopal Church, Hartford (1892)

trinity-church.jpg

Trinity Parish was established in Hartford’s Asylum Hill neighborhood in 1859. The next year, a brownstone former Unitarian church was moved from downtown Hartford to serve as the parish’s first building. In 1892, it was replaced by a new Gothic Revival-style church, designed by Frederick C. Withers, an architect who had earlier designed the mansion known as Goodwin Castle for Rev. Francis Goodwin, Trinity’s third Rector, in 1873. The tower, designed by LaFarge & Morris, was added in 1912.

South Glastonbury Public Library (1828)

southglastonburylibrary.JPG

The building on High Street in Glastonbury, which is currently the home of the South Glastonbury Public Library, was originally built in 1828 as a Methodist Church. Constructed by Parley Bidwell, who also built Glastonbury’s first Town Hall, the church had separate entrances for men and women. In the 1860s, the building was used as an unofficial African-American church and anti-slavery rallies were held there. By 1910, the local cotton mills had closed and the Methodist congregation had greatly decreased. The building was sold and used only for summer services until 1927, when the South Glastonbury Library first opened. At that time, the building was owned by Mrs. Helen Walsh Thompson, who allowed it to be used as a library for a nominal fee until 1941, when she gave it to the South Glastonbury Library Association.

Rockville Union Congregational Church (1890)

rockvilleunioncongregationalchurch.jpg

An excellent example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture, the Rockville Union Congregational Church in Vernon was begun in 1889 and completed the following year. It represents the union of two congregations: In 1888, the First Congregational Church of Rockville sold its land for the building of the Memorial Hall Building, while the Second Congregational Church building was destroyed in a fire. The two voted to combine and build a new church, constructed of stone and designed by Warren H. Hayes of Minneapolis, on the site where the Second Congregational Church had stood.