
The oldest house is Rocky Hill is the Philip Goffe House on Old Main Street. It was built in 1655, when Rocky Hill was part of Wethersfield. Philip Goffe was Wethersfield’s first town crier.

The oldest house is Rocky Hill is the Philip Goffe House on Old Main Street. It was built in 1655, when Rocky Hill was part of Wethersfield. Philip Goffe was Wethersfield’s first town crier.

Located on Main Street, across from the Timothy Edwards Cemetery, in the East Windsor Hill Historic District of South Windsor, is a small house on a knoll. Its construction was begun by Matthew Sadd Jr. (son of Matthew Sadd the carpenter), who purchased the land in 1781. It was completed by a later owner, Samuel Terry, Jr., a brother of the clockmaker Eli Terry. The house has undergone extensive renovations, including the complete rebuilding of the old center chimney.

Originally built for the father or brother of Capt. Ashbel Wright on Main Street in Wethersfield in 1766. Wright, a sea captain, was later a militiaman in the Revolutionary War at Lexington and Bunker Hill. From 1824 to 1833, the house was the home of Reverend Joseph Emerson, who ran the Female Seminary, located in the Old Academy across the street.
(more…)Currently located on North Meadow Road in Windsor, the 1780 William A. Lovell House was moved from the area of Hayden Station by Capt. Nathaniel Howard in 1807.
Located on Tryon Street in Glastonbury, at the end of Ferry Lane, the John Caswell House was built in 1783. Caswell was a clock and furniture-maker. The house was occupied by the same family, the Caswells and their Miller descendants, for over a century and a half, including Harriet Caswell Miller, who taught at the District 10 School next door at the turn-of -the-last-century.
The house built in 1875 for the superintendent of Hartford’s Cedar Hill Cemetery is in the Gothic Revival style and features a rare full second-story window with an elaborate hood. The cemetery, designed by Jacob Weidenmann, is a notable example of the Victorian style of rural, park-like cemeteries. Weidenmann also designed Bushnell Park and the garden at the Butler-McCook House in Hartford.
A section at the rear of the house at 811 Worthington Ridge in Berlin may date to 1790, when Jedediah Norton is said to have erected the residence, but the bulk of the building was built between 1800 and 1840 and displays elements of the Federal and Greek Revival styles. For a time in the nineteenth century the house was the residence of Dr. Horatio Gridley, a physician.
You must be logged in to post a comment.