Charles Deming House (1900)

charles-deming-house.jpg

In the late nineteenth century, Litchfield became a showplace for the Colonial Revival movement. Old houses were restored and new ones constructed in the Colonial Revival style. One such home is the Charles Deming House on North Street, built in 1900. The architect was E. K. Rossiter and the house was built for Charles Deming, a grandson of Julius Deming, whose house is also on North Street.

Charles A. Atkins House (1900)

charles-atkins-house.jpg

The house of Charles A. Atkins was built in 1900 on Kenyon Street in Hartford’s West End. Atkins was a lumber dealer and at one time a potential Republican candidate for governor. In 1973, Carolyn West purchased the house and in 2006 created a website for her Kenyon Street neighborhood which won a 2007 Hartford Preservation Alliance Award. There is also a PDF document at the site with information about the house.

Sylvester C. Dunham House (1904)

830-prospect.jpg
Check out my YouTube short about this house!

Displaying features of a Craftsman style bungalow on a Colonial Revival structure, the 1904 Sylvester C. Dunham House, on Prospect Avenue in Hartford, was designed by Edward T. Hapgood, who was the architect of the Shepard House, also located on Prospect. Sylvester Clark Dunham became president of the Travelers Insurance Company in 1901. His son, Donald A. Dunham, a Yale graduate, also resided in the house.

First Congregational Church of Old Lyme (1910)

First Congregational Church of Old Lyme

Lyme’s First Ecclesiastical Society‘s first Meeting House was constructed in 1665-6 and the first minister was Moses Noyes. A second was built in 1689 and in 1738, both earlier structures were dismantled to build the even larger third Meeting House. All three were located on Johnny Cake Hill. When the third church was destroyed after being hit by lightning in 1815, the fourth Meeting House was built in 1816-17 on Lyme Street in Old Lyme. Its architect was Samuel Belcher, who also designed the John Sill and William Noyes houses on Lyme Street. The fourth Meeting House burned on July 3, 1907–the 92nd anniversary of the burning of the third meetinghouse. It was replaced in 1910 by the current Meeting House of the First Congregational Church of Old Lyme, a replica of its predecessor. The American impressionist artists who frequented Lyme in the early twentieth century often painted the church, most notably Childe Hassam.