The original Gothic-style St. Joseph’s Cathedral of 1892, built on Farmington Avenue in Hartford and designed by Patrick Keely, burned in 1956. Although the exterior survived, it was decided to completely rebuild in a modern Gothic style utilizing a structure of reinforced concrete and an exterior covering of limestone. The cathedral is notable for the massive frieze over the entrance, featuring St. Joseph, its stained glass windows, made in France, and the ceramic tile mural, located behind the altar, of “Christ in Glory,” which is the largest in the world.
John Chester Tavern (North Half) (1735)

Originally attached to the southern half of the John Chester Tavern, the northern half was moved by his grandchildren to its present location on Garden Street in Wethersfield.
John Chester Tavern (South Half) (1735)

The Tavern of John Chester on Broad Street in Wethersfield was built in the 1730s. In 1765, the Connecticut Sons of Liberty, reacting to the Stamp Act, intercepted the Stamp Master Jared Ingersoll below Wethersfield to prevent his reaching Hartford. This may have been the tavern in which Ingersoll took refuge before eventually being forced to resign his office. John Chester was an officer in the militia that went to fight at Lexington. He became a colonel in 1776 and served throughout the Revolutionary War. His house stood further south on Broad Street, on the other side of the Broad Street Green. It survived to 1869. Chester’s grandchildren split the tavern building, moving the north half to nearby Garden Street in Wethersfield.
Capt. Gershom Nott House (1760)

Built around 1760 for the Wethersfield sea captain, Gershom Nott, this Georgian-style house on Marsh Street, across from the Ancient Burying Ground, has a gambrel roof, similar to that of the Webb House.
Armsmear (1857)
Built in 1857 on Wethersfield Avenue in Hartford for Samuel Colt, Armsmear has been called “the grandest residence in the Hartford of its day.” Often attributed to the architect Octavius Jordan, it is an elaborate Italian Villa. It has been much altered from its original opulence, having lost such features as an ornate dome with an ogee shape, similar to that on the Colt Armory in Hartford. Also lost are the glass-domed conservatories, added in 1861-2 and inspired by London’s Crystal Palace. The mansion still features three towers, and Bill Hosley describes, in the Hog River Journal, convincing the director of the Wadsworth Atheneum to approve an exhibition on Colt’s Empire by showing him the view of Coltsville from the Armsmear’s main tower. Hosley describes the tower as “one of the most alluring historic spaces in Connecticut.”
After the death of Elizabeth Colt, the house was altered, according to her will, by Benjamin Wistar Morris to became a residence for the widows of Episcopalian ministers. 140 acres of the Colt estate were also given to the city of Hartford to create Colt Park. Today Armsmear is described as a “51 unit apartment complex for retired single women.”
Robert Robbins House (1792)

Built in the 1790s on Broad Street in Wethersfield, the Robert Robbins House is one of a number of brick Federal style homes in the town designed by James Francis.
Morgan Memorial Building, Wadsworth Atheneum (1910)
Around 1900, J. Pierpont Morgan, a native of Hartford, was encouraged by his cousin, Rev. Francis Goodwin, to acquire land adjacent to the Wadsworth Atheneum for the museum to use in a future expansion. Goodwin was then the president of the Atheneum. In 1910, Morgan presented the Morgan Memorial Wing in honor of his father. It was designed by the firm of LaFarge and Morris.