Beardslee-Mix House (1774)

beardslee-mix.JPG

The Beardslee-Mix House was built around 1774 and originally stood on South Main Street in West Hartford. In the 1930s, when the old farms along South Main was being subdivided to build houses, it was moved to Rockledge Drive. The house was probably built by Abraham Webster, brother of Noah Webster. In 1810, the farm was bought by Elisha Mix, who sold it to Jeremiah Beardslee. It then passed to Beardslee’s son-in-law, Henry Mix.

The Old Academy (1804)

The Old Academy, on Main Street in Wethersfield, was built in 1801-1804 in the Federal style by the town’s First School Society. In 1824, the Rev. Joseph Emerson moved his female seminary, which had previously operated in Massachusetts in Byfield and Saugus, to the Old Academy, where it remained until his death in 1833. The building was also used as Wethersfield’s Town Hall and Library and now houses offices and the Research Collections of the Wethersfield Historical Society.

(more…)

Smith Bailey House (1772)

smith-bailey-1772.JPG

Built in 1772, on Old Main Street in East Windsor Hill for Smith Bailey, a goldsmith and silversmith. Bailey was married to a granddaughter of Timothy Edwards and had a shop in the building that is now the East Windsor Hill Post Office. His gambrel-roofed house was later owned by neighbor Lucy Webster, who sold it to Daniel Burnap in 1786. Burnap was a famous clock maker, who also worked with silver and brass in his East Windsor workshop. The most famous apprentice he trained was Eli Terry, who was born in the town and would become a prominent clock maker and a pioneer in industrial manufacturing.