
Built in 1820 for Hezekiah Spencer on South Main Street in Suffield. The house was later occupied early in the twentieth century by Annie Mearkle, who wrote poetry under the name Angela Marco. (more…)

Built in 1820 for Hezekiah Spencer on South Main Street in Suffield. The house was later occupied early in the twentieth century by Annie Mearkle, who wrote poetry under the name Angela Marco. (more…)
Built in 1750 by the carpenter, Matthew Sadd, on Main Street in East Windsor Hill, on what had been the original land grant of Maj. John Mason in the seventeenth century. The house was originally built as a saltbox, instead of having a lean-to added later. Sadd sold it to his cousin, Abiel Grant, in 1753. Both men later worked on the building of the Ebenezer Grant House. The Sadd House was later owned by Elisha Bissell, a surveyor. It was passed down in the Bissell family until it was purchased by Dudlex Clapp in 1914. He then built and lived in a house next door, leaving the Sadd House unoccupied.
Built by the Ellsworth family around 1807, the Pierson House is on Palisado Avenue in Windsor, across from the Green. The house was purchased in 1819 by Dr. William S. Pierson. Today it is owned by the First Church in Windsor.
Silas Webster Robbins, a partner in the seed business, Johnson, Robbins and Co., built an impressive Second Empire style mansion on Broad Street Green in Wethersfield in 1873. Damaged by fire in 1996, the home was purchased in 2001 by new owners, who have restored it. The Silas W. Robbins House will open as a bed-and-breakfast on November 1, and a number of gala events are planned for this month, including daily house tours, Oct. 6-Oct. 14, to benefit the Keane Foundation.
In 1858, John Millard bought a brick Federal-style house on South Main Street in West Hartford. The date of the house’s construction is not known, but land records indicate a sale of this land in 1790 with a house and barn in existence. Part of the property was purchased in 1821 by James Hurlbut. John Millard, like his relative Samuel Millard, had a farm along South Main Street. Millard and then his daughter lived in the house until 1921, when it was bought by the current owner’s grandparents.

Built in 1820, on Main Street in Wethersfield, for Capt. John Bulkeley, who had commanded a schooner during the American Revolution. It was later owned by Dr. Abner Warner, a surgeon who served in the 16th Connecticut Volunteer Regiment during the Civil War. The house is transitional between the Federal and Greek Revival styles.
(more…)Located on the Green in Glastonbury, the town’s first secular Town Hall was built between 1839 and 1840 by Parley Bidwell, who probably also designed it. Glastonbury’s first Meeting House of 1693 had stood nearby. The 1840 building served as the Town House for a century, and is now the Museum on the Green, operated by the Historical Society of Glastonbury.
You must be logged in to post a comment.