Connecticut State Capitol (1878)

capitol.jpg

From 1701 to 1875, Hartford and New Haven alternated as Connecticut’s state capital. Once Hartford won the designation as sole capital city, plans were made to build a new capitol building to replace the Old State House. The new state house was constructed on a hill at the western end of Bushnell Park, on land that had been the original home of Trinity College. The College’s Greek Revival buildings were demolished and the State Capitol building was completed on the site in 1878. The legislature met there for the first time in 1879. The only High Victorian Gothic-style capitol building in America, it was designed by Richard Michell Upjohn, who won the design competitions. He had to make modifications to his plan in order to please the demanding Board of Capitol Commissioners, who were influenced by the contractor commissioned to construct the building, James G. Batterson. The most notable change was the addition of a domed tower. Upjohn had originally planned a traditional Gothic clock tower, but the Board wanted a dome which, while traditional on NeoClassical-style capitol buildings, is highly unusual for a Gothic building.

Asa Andrews House (1804)

asa-andrews-house.jpg

Asa Andrews was a tinsmith in Farmington whose Federal-style house on Main Street was probably built sometime after he purchased the land in 1804. Nearby stands his c. 1803 tin shop (which perhaps originally dates to the 1690s). After Andrews‘ death in 1831, his widow, Nancy Bidwell Andrews, ran a school for young children in the house. In the mid-nineteenth century, the house was owned by Deacon Simeon Hart, a teacher and headmaster at the Farmington Academy, who later ran his own boarding school in his home. Deacon Hart was the Farmington Savings Bank‘s first secretary and treasurer and the bank was originally located in his house. After his death, in 1853, the bank moved down Main Street to the home of Samuel Smith Cowles, its second Treasurer.

Memorial Baptist Church (1931)

memorial-baptist-church.jpg

Hartford’s Memorial Baptist Church was organized in 1884, with its original building on the corner of Washington and Jefferson Streets. A new church, built in the Colonial Revival style, was begun in 1931, but was not completed until 1949, due to the impact of the Great Depression. The church, on Fairfield Avenue, features semi-circular windows, slender columns and other influences of the refined Federal style.