George Park Fisher House (1865)

fisher.jpg

The late Italianate house of Rev. George Park Fisher, on Hillhouse Avenue in New Haven, was built in 1865. Rev. Fisher was a professor at Yale Divinity School and the author of History of Christian Doctrine (1896), among other books and essays. The house was later rented (1907) and eventually purchased (1910) by Louis H. Bristol. Yale acquired the house in 1935. Since 1977, it has housed Yale’s Economic Growth Center.

East District School (1789)

east-district-school.jpg

The brick East District School in Norwich was built in 1789, on land donated to the town by Thomas Leffingwell IV. It was used for about 125 years and its students included Lydia Huntley Sigourney, who attended in 1795. The school was quite progressive, with boys and girls being taught the same subjects. Starting in 1891, the building was used by the School House Club for cultural and social events. Located on Washington Street, it is now a historical museum.

Capron-Philips House (1864)

capron-philips-house.jpg

The Italianate-style Capron-Philips House, at 1129 Main Street in Coventry, was built sometime in the 1860s. It served for many years as a post office and later as an apothecary shop (or drugstore). The house is on a corner at an important and once quite busy intersection. A large elm stood nearby, in the middle of Mason Street, until 1938. It was known as the Meetinghouse Tree because notices were posted on it.

First Congregational Church of Coventry (1849)

first-congregational-church-coventry.jpg

The first Congregational meetinghouse in Coventry was built on the green in 1715. In 1842, the congregation became divided over the issue of whether to build a new church or retain the original structure. One group built the current church building, known as the “Village Church,” on Main Street in 1849, while the other repaired the original building and turned it to face the green. The two churches coexisted separately until they were reunited in 1869, thenceforward using the 1849 building, now called First Church. The steeple was destroyed by lightning in 1903 and a replacement was soon constructed.