John Rider House (1785)

rider-house.jpg

John Rider was a Danbury carpenter, who also served as a state militia captain during the Revolutionary War. The house of John and his wife Mary was built in 1785 and was occupied by members of the Rider family until 1925. In 1941, the house was saved from potential destruction through the action of citizens, who formed the Danbury Historical Society and Arts Center. This organization merged, in 1947, with the Scott Fanton Museum to form the Danbury Museum and Historical Society. The Rider House on Main Street is today a museum and has been joined by other historic structures, which together form the Museum’s main campus.

Brainerd Memorial Library (1908)

haddam-library.jpg

Haddam had a number of early library associations before a permanent library building was dedicated in 1908. The earliest dated back to 1793. It folded in 1808, but was succeeded by the Haddam Library Association in 1818. This library was divided in two in 1820, one half located at the northern end of Middlesex turnpike and the other at the southern end. This library was restarted in 1896 and ten years later Cyprian Strong Brainerd, Jr., a native of Haddam Neck who became a lawyer in New York City, gave funds for a library building. It was built at 920 Saybrook Road on land donated by Judge Ephraim P. Arnold, the grandson of Joseph and Thankful Arnold. The Brainerd Memorial Library was designed by McLean and Wright, a Boston architectural firm. An addition was completed in 1997. (more…)

Mystic & Noank Library (1894)

mystic-noank-library.jpg

In 1891, Captain Elihu Spicer, a wealthy ship captain of Mystic and Brooklyn, NY, announced that he would construct a library for the Groton communities of Mystic and Noank. Located on the corner of West Main and Elm Streets in West Mystic, the completed Mystic & Noank Library was dedicated in January of 1894. Capt. Spicer did not live to see the opening, having died the year before. The Library‘s architect was William Bigelow of New York (a former partner of McKim and Mead) and the construction was supervised by Spicer’s own architect, William Higginson. When built, the library collection was on the second floor and a meeting room occupied the first floor; today both floors and a 1990s addition to the building are used as library space. Two relief busts, representing Literature and Art, are featured on the front facade of the Library.