Tallmadge Store/ J.C. Wadsworth House (1784)

litchfield-tallmadge-store.jpg

Benjamin Tallmadge, spymaster for George Washington during the Revolutionary War, moved to Litchfield after the war and became a successful merchant. His store, built around 1784, originally stood next to his home on Litchfield’s North Street. It was moved across the street around 1811 and incorporated into the house of J.C. Wadsworth, which still stands today on the east side of North Street.

David Smith Post Office (1852)

david-smith-post-office.jpg

Rev. David Smith built a small post office building around 1852 which he operated next to his home on Maple Avenue in Durham. When he died in 1854, he was succeeded by his daughter, Catherine. When she married Henry L. Ellsworth in 1857, the building was moved to its current location on Main Street, across from the town green. In the later nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the old post office housed a succession of stores, eventually becoming a residence. The building has been altered, with an addition on the east end, facing away from the street.

The Curtis Fairchild House (1741)

spelman-hotel.JPG

The former Spelman Hotel stands at the intersection of Main Street and Wallingford Road (formerly called Quarry Hill Road) in Durham. It was built as a house around 1740 (a sign on the house says 1741) by Curtis Fairchild, and sold just a few years later to John Jones. It was inherited by John Jones, Jr., who by 1767 was in serious debt and fled his creditors. The house ended up in the hands of Phineas Spelman, who turned it into an inn at the urging of the town. Spelman was reluctant to do so, because it was during the Revolutionary War and inflation had made currency almost worthless. He died in 1783 and his widow continued to operate the Spelnman Hotel, but it was finally closed by the town in 1793. The town was unwilling to license Elizabeth Spelman because there were now several taverns in Durham and town officials feared the effect on citizens’ morals. The house was owned in the nineteenth century by Daniel Bates and then by Parsons Coe, who altered it in the Greek Revival style, replacing the original gambrel roof with a gable roof. A front porch with six square columns was also added and the house was attached to an adjacent house. The Coe family owned the house until 1898 and the Harvey family from 1902 to 1954, when it became the property of Durham’s First Congregational Church. The house has recently been brought back to its eighteenth century appearance, again freestanding and with the removal of the porch and the addition of a restored gambrel roof.

Hall Elton Building (1847)

hall-elton-building.jpg

The date for the Hall Elton Building in Wallingford is 1847. The structure must have been updated in the Second Empire style, with a Mansard roof, later in the nineteenth century, as the Second Empire style did yet exist in 1847. A number of silver companies occupied the building and in 1988 it was restored to house offices. Hall, Elton & Co. was a silver company founded in 1838 through an association of Deacon Almer Hall, William Elton and others to produce German silver and britannia wares.

First Congregational Church in Canterbury (1964)

first-church-canterbury.jpg

Four successive Congregational church buildings have stood on the same spot on Canterbury Green for three hundred years. The church in Canterbury was established in 1711 and work then began on the first meeting house at the Green‘s highest point. The second meeting house was built in 1735 and the third in 1805. When it was destroyed by fire in 1963, the current church was constructed the following year.

Watson Coe House (1867)

watson-coe-house.jpg

The Watson Coe House, built in 1867-1868 on Orange Street in New Haven, is a later example of the many Italianate style houses built in the city in the mid-nineteenth century. In the early twentieth century, the house at 484 Orange Street was home to Wesley Roswell Coe, who was a Yale professor of Comparative Anatomy, marine biologist and Curator of Zoology at the Yale Peabody Museum for sixteen years.