Cortland F. Luce House (1920)

Formerly the estate of Cornelius J. Vanderbilt, Jr., West Hill Drive was one of the earliest planned sub-divisions in West Hartford. Many of the Colonial Revival and Tudor Revival houses constructed there in the 1920s were designed by architect Cortland F. Luce, who also designed his own house at 6 West Hill Drive. Built in 1920, the house combines elements of the two styles which dominated the neighborhood, being a Tudor Revival cottage with a Palladian window typical of the Georgian Colonial Revival. To learn more about Colonial and Tudor Revival houses in West Hartford, check out my article on the subject in the Architecture section of this site!

The Maj. Peter Curtis House (1786)

Maj. Peter Curtis was a blacksmith in Farmington who served as an officer in the army at every battle in which George Washington commanded during the Revolutionary War. In 1769 he had purchased the property formerly owned by Thomas Norton, replacing the earlier house, at the corner of Farmington Avenue and High Street, with his new house, built by Judah Woodruff in 1786. Curtis later served as the first keeper, or warden, of Newgate Prison in East Granby, from 1790 to 1796. His family occupied the house until 1822, when it was sold to William Whitman, who opened it as a tavern, with a ballroom on the second floor. After his death in 1876, the tavern was run by his son Charles L. Whitman, of whom it was said, as related in Farmington, Connecticut, the Village of Beautiful Homes (1906),

He and his father for many years kept a tavern in Farmington. in the days when there was much teaming through this town. The place was famous in all the region, partly on account of Mrs. Whitman’s excellent pies and cake. When one’s ancestors have been among those who serve the public with care and courtesy, it seems to become second nature in the descendants to be very polite. This might explain Mr. Whitman’s genial manners, but I am inclined to believe it was more a special goodness of heart. He was also for many years one of the directors of the bank and an appraiser.

In the 1920s, rooms in the house were rented to two women for use as a tea room and antiques business. In 1938, the house was acquired by Dr. Walls Bunnell, who moved it to its present location at 4 High Street. Where the Whitman Tavern had originally stood, Dr. Bunnell created the shopping complex known as Brick Walk Lane, composed of various historic Farmington buildings he preserved by having them moved to the site.

285 Bolton Center Road, Bolton (1720)

The house at 285 Bolton Center Road in Bolton originally stood at the corner of High and Wadsworth Streets in East Hartford. It was moved to Bolton in the early 1990s by historic home restorers Len and Betty Matyia. The house, which may have been built as early as the late seventeenth century through around 1730, has been linked to the original Hartford proprietor William Hill, who traveled with Rev. Thomas Hooker to found the new settlement in 1636. Hill was captain of Hartford’s first trainband on the east side of the Connecticut River. The discovery of a connection with Hill in 1992 led to some controversy concerning the removal of the historic house from East Hartford. Restored to a post-Medieval appearance, the house is now situated in a rural colonial setting with an adjacent post and beam barn.

The Charles E. Mitchell House (1880)

Charles Elliott Mitchell (1837-1911), a lawyer originally from Bristol, practiced law in New Britain, forming a partnership with Frank L. Hungerford in 1869. The partners wrote the charter when New Britain became a city in 1870 and Mitchell was also appointed the first city attorney. He represented New Britain in the General Assembly in 1880-1881, around the time his surviving residence in the city, a Queen Anne-style house at 15 Hillside Place, was constructed. While in the Assembly, as explained in David N. Camp’s History of New Britain (1889), he was “a member of the commission to consider and report upon the necessity of a new normal school building, and was largely instrumental in securing a favorable report and the appropriation necessary for its erection.” The building is located next to his house on Hillside Place. Mitchell came to specialize in patent law and served under President Benjamin Harrison as United States Patent Attorney, in 1889-1891. He retired from the law and returned to New Britain in 1902, where he served as president of the Stanley Rule & Level Manufacturing Company. In 1905, he had a new house built at 54 Russell Street, a Colonial Revival home, designed by Charles Rich of New York, where he lived until his death in 1911. This house became the home of Mark J. Lacey, the president of several manufacturing companies, in 1930. The Russell Street house was demolished for the construction of a highway in 1972.

Congregational Church of Naugatuck (1903)

The Congregational Church of Naugatuck is on Division Street, across from Naugatuck’s Green (part of which is owned by the Church and is leased to the Borough of Naugatuck). This is the Church’s third building. The first was built on a hill to the east in 1782, a year after the congregation was formally gathered. In 1831, it was moved to a location across from the present church, on the northeast corner of what is now the Green, on land donated by Daniel Beecher, an inn keeper. It was sold and moved again, this time across the street to become a store, being replaced by the second church, built in 1853-1854. The present church was built in 1903 and was designed by the renowned architectural firm of McKim, Mead and White. It was one of several commissions by the firm around Naugatuck Green arranged by the prominent local industrialist, John Howard Whittemore.

Salem School (1894)

Naugatuck’s Salem School has been in the news recently. Just this past week, the Naugatuck Board of Education, facing a budget shortfall, voted to close the historic school, resulting in the circulation of a petition to save it. Salem School has been open since 1894. Previously, the Union Center School, built in 1852 and located on Naugatuck Green, had served the community. By the 1890s, the Borough of Naugatuck required a new and larger school building. The result was Salem School, the gift of John Howard Whittemore, a wealthy industrialist who wanted to enrich his hometown. He hired the nation’s leading architectural firm, McKim, Mead and White, to design the school, as well as many other prominent buildings in the center of Naugatuck. The old school on the Green was taken down and Salem School was built across Meadow Street in 1893 and opened the following year. The school served all grades until a separate High School building, also designed by McKim, Mead and White, was built in 1905. The Middle School grades were moved out in the 1950s. Salem School, named for “Salem Bridge,” an early name for Naugatuck, has continued since then as an elementary school, but is now slated to close. The future use of the building has not yet been determined.