Weed-Lounsbury-Davenport-Bradford House (1774)

Most likely built between 1772 and 1774 by William Weed, the Weed-Lounsbury-Davenport-Bradford House is located at the intersection of Ponus Ridge and Wahackme Road in New Canaan. It was next occupied by William Weed Jr., then Edgar Lounsbury (1837), followed by his son, Silas Lounsbury and then Silas’ daughter, Carrie Lounsbury Davenport (d. 1947) and her husband, John L. Davenport. She sold the house to Lindsay Bradford, president of City Bank Farmers Trust Company (1936-1951) and president of the New York War Relief Fund during World War II, who restored the old house and farm.

Phineas Miner Office/Silas N. Bronson Store (1820)

On South Street in Litchfield, between St. Michael’s Church and the Benjamin Hanks House, is a building constructed in 1819-1820 by Phineas Miner as a law office. Later enlarged for use as a store by Silas N. Bronson, and for a time housing the collections of the Litchfield Historical Society, it has more recently been home to the Sanctum Club, a men’s club.

The Justin Hobart House (1765)

Built in 1765 by a local cabinetmaker on Beach Road in Fairfield, the Justin Hobart House is one of the few structures to survive the burning of the town by the British in 1779. After the burning, church meetings and court sessions were held in the house until a new meeting house was completed in 1785. The house has had additions over the years, including the current entry portico. A new wing was added to the rear of the house in 1890 and a sun room extension around the mid-twentieth century. During World War One, the house served as the headquarters of the Fairfield Chapter of the American Red Cross.Happy Thanksgiving from Historic Buildings of Connecticut!

The James Abbott House (1875)

Built sometime between 1875 and 1878, the James Abbott House, on First Avenue in Waterbury, is transitional in style between High Victorian Gothic and Queen Anne. It was built for James M. Abbott of Holmes, Booth & Haydens, a brass and copper manufacturing company that was the first to produce silver plates for making daguerreotypes. As mentioned in Waterbury and Her Industries (1889), Abbot “was treasurer from 1867 to 1869, when A. S. Chase was elected president and treasurer, and Mr. Abbott was made secretary, a position he held for many years.” At the turn-of-the-century, the house was owned by George Rockwell. According to the History of Waterbury and the Naugatuck Valley, Volume 3 (1918):

Rogers & Brother became members of the International Silver Company at the time of its organization, in the year 1898, and the business at Waterbury has remained under the management of George Rockwell, the former treasurer and manager of Rogers & Brother, and present director and secretary of the International Silver Company.

In the mid-twentieth century, the house was divided into four apartments.

First Church of Christ Congregational, Unionville (1886)

As described by David N. Camp in his History of New Britain, with sketches of Farmington and Berlin, Connecticut (1889):

The people from Unionville, or Union District, Farmington, as it was termed, were, for many years, accustomed to attend church services at Farmington, or at West Avon. After the canal was opened the trip to the mother church at Farmington, for a portion of the year, was made by boat. Religious meetings had been held in Unionville for some time, but the church was not organized until March 30,1841 […] The first house of worship was erected on the park, and in 1852 was removed and enlarged. But the congregation becoming too large for this building, a handsome stone edifice was erected, which, with the organ, cost $44,000, and was dedicated May 27, 1886.

In the 1950s, a modern addition was built onto the front of the First Church of Christ Congregational.