Allen G. Brady House (1867)

Allen G. Brady, who operated a cotton mill in Torrington, served as a major in the Seventeenth Connecticut Regiment in the Civil War. At the Battle of Gettysburg, Brady took command of the Regiment after the death of Lt. Col. Douglas Fowler during the fighting at Barlow’s Knoll on July 1, 1863. The following day, Brady was wounded in the shoulder. After the War, Brady had a house built on Prospect Street in Torrington, which was at that time a residential area. He later moved to North Carolina to run a rebuilt cotton mill. The Gleeson Mortuary has used the house since 1927.

William Moore House (1803)

William Moore was a merchant and postmaster in Canterbury. His house, at the intersection of Routes 14 and 169 in Canterbury Center, was likely built by Plainfield builder Thomas Gibbs, who designed the former Congregational Church and several local houses in what is known as the “Canterbury Style.” The house, which once had a second-floor ballroom, has a dramatic projecting second-story pediment with Palladian window. The property was later owned by Marvin H. Sanger, a merchant, banker and politician, who served in the state legislature and then as Secretary of the State of Connecticut from 1873 to 1877. The house’s shed-roofed front porch dates to around 1920.

First United Methodist Church, Meriden (1949)

Meriden’s first Methodist meetinghouse was built in 1830. This simple structure was later sold and moved to Curtis Street, where it became a carpenter’s shop and later burned down. The first regular Methodist Society was formed in 1844 and a wooden Church was built on Broad Street in 1847. Charles Parker, an industrialist and the first mayor of Meriden, gave a gift which allowed for the construction of a Gothic stone church in 1866. The church was renovated in 1940, but burned the following year. After World War II, money was raised to build the present First United Methodist Church in 1949. The church is at the same location as its predecessor, on East Main Street.