Court Exchange Building (1896)

The Court Exchange Building, at 211 State Street in Bridgeport, is a grandiose commercial structure, built in 1896. It was built by C. Barnum Seeley, the grandson of P.T. Barnum. The great showman, who had no sons, wanted the family name to continue and so he had provided that C. H. Seeley would receive the sum of $25,000, in addition to his portion of his grandfather’s estate, if he added Barnum to his name. For the Court Exchange Building, Seeley hired architect George Longstaff, whose extravagant plans caused building costs to skyrocket. The top floor became the headquarters of the Algonquin Club, which moved to a new clubhouse on Golden Hill Street in 1931. The Club disbanded around 1998. (more…)

Waterbury American Building (1894)

On the night of February 2-3, 1902, a massive fire destroyed nearly all of downtown Waterbury. One of the survivors of the conflagration was the facade of the Waterbury American Building on Grand Street. The Richardsonian Romanesque building had been constructed in 1894 to the plans of Theodore B. Peck, who also designed the Apothecaries Hall building, constructed the same year in Waterbury. The American newspaper was started in 1844 and merged with the Republican in 1924 to become the Republican-American.

Former Methodist Church, Essex (1849)

At the corner of Prospect and Main Streets in Essex is a former Methodist church, built in 1849. The Methodists had earlier used a smaller building, also located on Prospect Street, that had been built in 1827. The 1849 church was used until the Methodist Society disbanded, at which time it was given to the Essex Fire Engine Company in 1945. When the existing firehouse was enlarged rather than being moved into the former church, ownership of the building reverted to the town. It was sold to Verplex Realty Company in 1949 and used as a warehouse for many years. The building was later sold again and was eventually converted into a residence. The original steeple has been replaced by a much shorter cupola with glass walls.

United Congregational Church of Tolland (1838)

In 1719, Tolland‘s first settlers decided to build a meeting house. This simple initial structure, first used in 1723, was never entirely completed. A larger building, with a steeple and bell, was later constructed at the south end of Tolland Green. First used in 1755, it was later suprceeded by the current building, located on the west side of the Green and dedicated on October 25, 1838. In 1893, adapting to changing styles, typical Victorian-era alterations were made to the interior of the church. This included replacing the pained glass windows with stained glass. In 1977, the church was again remodeled to its original appearance and the stained glass was removed. A wing was also added at that time to the south side of the church. Declining membership in the both the Congregational and Lee Methodist churches in Tolland led to their merger as the Federated Church of Tolland in 1920. The Lee Methodist Church was dissolved in 1959 ad the following year the Federated Church was renamed the United Congregational Church of Tolland.

P.C. Turner House (1849)

The P.C. Turner House, at 127 Federal Street in New London, is an interestingly eclectic Italianate house. It was built before 1880, perhaps as early as 1830–in which case some of the architectural elements were likely added later. The most accurate date is 1849. Its most striking feature is the cast-iron veranda on the west and south sides of the house, which include a dramatic hexagonal corner porch. The house was built for Peter C. Turner, who was a merchant involved in the whaling industry. He was a trustee and partner in Albertson and Douglas Co., a foundry which did business with whalers, cashier and later president of the National Whaling Bank in New London and treasurer of the New London County Bible Society.

Sedgwick Middle School (1931)

Sedgwick Middle School in West Hartford (one of three now in the town) was opened in 1931 as a combination junior high school (in the west wing) and elementary school (in the east wing). In 1956, the elementary school moved out and Sedgwick became exclusively a junior high (called a middle school from 1979). A rear wing was added in 1989-1990, the library was expanded in 2001 and another wing constructed in 2003. The school was named for William Thompson Sedgwick. Born in West Hartford in 1855, Sedgwick, a bacteriologist and educator, was an authority on public health who taught biology at M.I.T. from 1883 until his death in 1921.