
The Amaziah Humphrey House, at 42 East Weatogue Street in Simsbury, was built in 1775. Capt. Amaziah Humphrey (1754-1822) married Elizabeth Harris in 1774. The couple had seven children.

The Amaziah Humphrey House, at 42 East Weatogue Street in Simsbury, was built in 1775. Capt. Amaziah Humphrey (1754-1822) married Elizabeth Harris in 1774. The couple had seven children.

The first meetinghouse of the Wolcott Congregational Church was built in 1773 on “Benson’s Hill” in Farmingbury, where Farmington and Waterbury then met. It is now the location of Wolcott Green. Farmingbury became the Town of Wolcott in 1796. The current church was constructed in 1841-1842 on the site of the earlier meetinghouse, which burned down in 1839. Brick additions were made to the church in the 1930s and a parish house was attached around 1950.

The Samuel Andrews, Jr. House is at 105 N Main Street in Southington. The Second Empire-style House, which has lost its roof dormers, was built in 1870. Since 1958 it has been owned by the Wolak family. Shortly after purchasing it, the Wolaks began to take in boarders and the house continues today as Wolak’s Guest House.

The house at 70 Central Avenue in Waterbury was built between 1890 and 1896. It was originally a Queen Anne house, but was converted into the Colonial Revival style by W.S. Rushmore Wake, owner of the Boston Furniture Company. In 1923, the house was bought by Idris Alderson, who founded Alderson Funeral Home. Today it is the McAuliffe Center, opened in 2009 by Connecticut Renaissance.

At 95 East Main Street in Clinton is a Federal-style house built in 1807 by Edward Wright, Sr. and later inherited by his eldest son, Edward Wright, Jr. His middle of three sons, born in this house, was Horatio Gouverneur Wright. He was a West Point graduate who achieved the rank of general during the Civil War. After the death of Gen. John Sedgwick (also from Connecticut) during the Overland Campaign of 1864, Gen. Wright replaced him as the 6th Corps Commander. He later led VI Corps in the Shenandoah Valley and at the Siege of Petersburg. Since 2002, the house has been the M. Sarba Fine Art Café.

The house at 39 Waterside Lane in Clinton was built about 1800 for John Wellman. His daughter later willed it to the Baptist Missionary Society, which sold it to John Bliss.

The William & Stephen Conger House, at 616-618 Kossuth Street in Bridgeport, was built in 1854 for two coach trimmers. The house was remodeled in 1864 by John Barr. Renovated in the 1980s, the Conger House eventually became vacant again for a decade, suffering neglect, vandalism and exposure to the elements. In 2007 the house was rehabilitated by the Mutual Housing Association Of Southwestern CT with Catholic Charities to provide housing with services for 16 formerly homeless individuals with special needs.
You must be logged in to post a comment.