Eli Dewhurst House (1886)

The house at 409 Noble Avenue in East Bridgeport was built in 1886 for Eli Dewhurst, a retired contractor. The architect was Charles T. Beardsley. According to the Illustrated Popular Biography of Connecticut (1891), Eli Dewhurst had become proficient in his trade as a spinner, but

he foresaw the future of the sewing-machine business and abandoned his trade to accept a position as screwmaker in the Wheeler & Wilson Manufacturing Company. […] As the business increased, instead of working by the day he took the work by contract and had in his employ at times upwards of sixty employes. During his contract of twenty-five years with the company, having commenced saving from his individual hard earnings in youth, with careful investments he had accumulated sufficient in 1881 to retire from active business. Not only did his employers regret to lose his valuable and trustworthy services, but his employés also who had worked for him many years equally regretted the change. […] A few years ago he built two substantial brick blocks on Harriet street, and then selected a commanding site on the corner of Barnum avenue and Noble street, facing on Washington park, where he erected a home under which roof during the summer months he enjoys the results of the labors of youth and early manhood. While not a devotee of society, yet those who enjoy his friendship can testify to the hearty and whole-souled hospitality that is dispensed to the intimates of his household

Rocky Hill United Methodist Church (1896)

Methodists in Rocky Hill built their first church in 1859. When that church burned to the ground on Valentine’s Day 1895, the ladies of the sewing society only had time to save an 1814 Bible and a pair of altar chairs from the building. A new church was opened less than a year after the fire. Now called the Rocky Hill United Methodist Church, it is located at 626 Old Main Street, on the corner of Church Street. This Gothic Revival church has triangular window shapes instead of the pointed arches that are more typical of the style.

Paul Robeson House (1903)

The Colonial Revival house at 1221 Enfield Street in Enfield was built in 1903. It is known for its association with Paul Robeson, whose family owned it from 1940 to 1953. At that time, Robeson was at the height of his popularity as a singer and actor, famed for his roles in The Emperor Jones (which was the first feature sound film starring an African American) Show Boat, and Othello. Robeson was also a political activist for civil rights and a communist who suffered ostracism and persecution for his beliefs.

Robinson-Andrews House (1840)

Happy Halloween!!!The Robinson-Andrews House, at 202 Main Street in Durham, stands on a lot that had originally been intended for public use and for support of the ministry. The First Ecclesiastical Society of Durham leased the land to Asahel Strong in 1826 for 999 years (essentially a way of selling it). In 1838, Strong conveyed the land to Henry Robinson, a farmer, who built his house around 1840. The property was sold to Dr. Chauncey Andrews in 1844 and it was later owned by the Tibbals family, who may have made the later Victorian-era additions to the Greek Revival house.