Charles C. Hubbard House (1861)

Charles C. Hubbard House (1861)

The Charles C. Hubbard House, at 148 Broad Street in Middletown is an Italianate-style house built around 1861. It was the home of Charles C. Hubbard, who owned a hardware store on Main Street that sold products manufactured by Hubbard on Warwick Street. In 1873, Thomas W. Coit bought the house. He was a professor of ecclesiastical history at the Berkeley Divinity School. The school was established in Middletown in 1854 and moved to New Haven in 1928.

Benjamin Ray House (1790)

67 Maple

According to Bristol Historic Homes (2005), the house at 67 Maple Street in Bristol was built around 1790 and was the home of clockmaker Benjamin Ray, who owned the Ives Eureka Shop on North Main Street. If the house dates back to 1790, then its Greek Revival front facade is a later (early nineteenth century) addition. According to Federal Hill, A Series of Walking Tours of the Federal Hill Neighborhood and of Other Areas of Interest in Bristol, Connecticut (1985), the house was used as a store by Samuel Smith to sell the clocks he made with his partner, Chauncey Boardman. The rear of the house was altered in 1874 by Benjamin Lewis.

Curtis Raymond House (1856)

245 Ellsworth

In the mid-nineteenth century, Captain William Hall arrived in the Bridgeport village of Black Rock. He purchased the four shipyards in Black Rock and began large-scale shipbuilding operations, which lasted until his death in 1860. At one time, he employed 90 men, one of whom was Curtis Raymond, whose house still stands at 245 Ellsworth Street in Black Rock. Built in 1856, the formerly Italianate-style house has undergone much remodeling over the years and has lost its front veranda.