
Part of the property of Christ Episcopal Church, at 526 Amity Road in Bethany, is a house that serves as the church parsonage. Only one-room deep, it was built 1825 and 1830 and has later rear additions. The house was restored in 1957.

Part of the property of Christ Episcopal Church, at 526 Amity Road in Bethany, is a house that serves as the church parsonage. Only one-room deep, it was built 1825 and 1830 and has later rear additions. The house was restored in 1957.

At 113-119 Maple Street in Ellington is a house built in 1835 with Italianate decorative features that were added later. A large second-floor room, known as the Conference Room, was used by the local Baptist Church when it was founded in the 1840s. This church appears not to have continued to the present day, as the current Ellington Baptist Church was established in 1993 by members who had been previously attending the Somers Baptist Church.

The house at 107 Chaplin Street in Chaplin, built c. 1819-1820, is notable for its elaborate Federal-style detailing. The house is called the Hope House in the National Register of Historic Places nomination for the Chaplin Historic District. Johanne Philbrick, who resides in the house, calls it the Holt House on p. 7 of her Historic Homes of Chaplin Village (Exeter Press, 2008).

Dating to c. 1830-1835, the house at 47 Chaplin Street in Chaplin is the parsonage of the Congregational Church next door. It is also known as “Friendship House.”

The house at 318 Phoenixville Road in Chaplin was built c. 1828 by Isaac Goodell. It was later owned by Lester Bill and Newell C. Hunt. Jesse Hunt sold the house to George England in 1905.

The house at 4 Oakland Street in Bristol was built in 1917 and came to be well-known as an exemplar of the Colonial/Georgian Revival style after it was featured in the Christmas 1920 issue of House Beautiful (“An Adaptation of the Colonial House,” by Alexander E. Hoyle). Designed by Goodell & Root, the house was built for Newell Jennings (1883-1965), who (starting in 1910) practiced law with his uncle, Roger S. Newell, in the firm of Newell & Jennings. The year the house was built, Jennings was appointed assistant state attorney. He was later a Hartford Superior Court judge.

Edwin Griswold (1813-1897) built the house at 33 Main Street in Ivoryton in 1838, on land he had purchased from his father, Daniel Griswold. Edwin was the partner of Samuel Merritt Comstock in the combmaking firm of Comstock & Griswold. Comstock had a house nearly identical to Griswold’s built at the same time on the other side of Bracket Lane. In 1903 the house was acquired by Clarence Bushnell. He and Linwell Behrens were bicycle salesmen who in 1904 started Behrens and Bushnell, one of the first auto dealerships in Middlesex County. The house was later owned by Comstock, Cheney & Co. and was also a parsonage of the Ivoryton Congregational Church.
You must be logged in to post a comment.