The Boardman School at Mystic Seaport is a one room schoolhouse that was originally built in the town of Preston. It may date to as early as 1765 (or c. 1840) and was named for the Boardman family whose land was adjacent to the schoolhouse. When the section of Preston called Glasgo, where the school was located, became the separate town of Griswold in 1815, Boardman School became District Seven School (it was also known as Potter Hill School). It served as a school until 1949, when it was moved to Mystic Seaport.
One of the many buildings on the grounds of Mystic Seaport is the Edmondson House, which now serves as the Children’s Museum. The house was built in the 1850s-1860 as a residence for John Edmondson (1803-1875), a textile worker and shipyard foreman. He married Catherine Greenman (1803-1882), a sister of the three Greenman brothers whose former shipyard is now the site of Mystic Seaport. After the Seaport acquired the house in 1942, the building became the Pugsley Clock Shop, an exhibition space for clocks, watches and navigational instruments. It is now the Children’s Museum, which had previously been located in a former work shop and tool shed dating to 1841.
John Denison (1716-1808) and his son Nathan (born 1759) were both hatters in Old Mystic. John bought land from Samuel Williams in 1783 and then sold it to Nathan in 1785, by which time the house that exists today at 52 Main Street had most likely been built, along with their hatters shop. In 1787, Nathan Denison sold the property to his brother-in-law John Baldwin (1752-1814). The property had two other owners in the next decade and was acquired by Nicholas Williams (1770-1802) in 1799. His widow, Lucretia Hempstead Williams (1776-1851) willed the property to ten people, with six people getting shares in the house. The house has had many owners over the years. In the 1930s, it was owned by the Williams family, who owned a general store across the street from 1875 to 1967. Charles Vincent bought the property in 1959 and ran the Old Mystic Book Shop in the house until 1986. Since 1987 the house has been a bed-and-breakfast called the Old Mystic Inn. In 1988 a carriage house was added to the property, doubling the number of guest rooms.
You must be logged in to post a comment.