Medad Holcomb House (1805)

Medad Holcomb (died 1858) was a farmer in North Guilford who built the house at 2814 Long Hill Road in 1805. (His son, Medad Holcomb, Jr., would later build the house at 95 Fair Street in Guilford in 1848). In 1809, Rev. William F. Vaill acquired the house while he was pastor of the North Guilford Congregational Church. Later alterations to the house include the switch to smaller chimneys and shingle siding. The Holcomb farm, later owned by John Dudley, was operated as a dairy farm for many years and has many surviving barns and outbuildings.

William Boardman East Boarding House (1847)

At 123 Main Street in the Rockfall district of Middlefield is a Greek Revival house built between 1845 and 1847. It is unusual in that the entrance is on the west side of the house instead of on the front facade that faces the street. Originally, there was also a door on the east side. The multiple entrances provided access to what was built as a boarding house for workers employed at the mills along the Coginchaug River. Now a two-family house, the building was erected by William F. Boardman, who also built another boarding house just to the west.

First Congregational Church of Danbury (1909)

Pioneers from Norwalk first settled Danbury in 1684 and the town’s Congregational Church was first organized in 1696. A meeting house had already been erected on what is now Main Street, a little north of the present Court House. The church currently occupies its fifth meetinghouse, located at 164 Deer Hill Avenue. The building, designed by the architectural firm of Howells & Stokes, was dedicated in 1909. (more…)

Reynolds-Beers House (1786)

The Reynolds-Beers House is a Dutch gambrel-roofed historic home, owned by the Town of North Branford since 1997 and operated as a museum by the Totoket Historical Society. Located at 1740 Foxon Road, the house was erected in 1786 by Hezekiah Reynolds (1756-1833), who later moved to Wallingford. A painter, he was the author of Directions for House and Ship Painting (1812). By the 1930s, the house was owned by Earle Beers. There are two ells on the rear, or east, side of the house, added at different times in the nineteenth century. The south ell is in the Greek Revival style.