St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Wethersfield (1958)

St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Wethersfield was organized on March 21, 1943 and the congregation initially used a vacant store at 689 Wolcott Hill Road for worship. Outgrowing the store after a few months, the congregation acquired the Griswold House at 371 Wolcott Hill Road. The congregation worshiped in a chapel on the first floor its first pastors also lived in the house. After using the house for fifteen years, a new church building was erected on the property and the congregation began worshiping in its new home on New Years Day, 1958. A parish Education Building was constructed in 1968 and a new Fellowship Hall, connecting the Church and the Education Building, was completed in 1996.

Benjamin F. Holmes House (1855)

The house at 29 Church Street in Mystic was built in 1855 by Benjamin F. Holmes (1822-1892), a son of Jeremiah Holmes, hero of the Battle of Stonington. Benjamin F. Holmes was a ship captain and part owner of the screw steamer Idaho, built by George Greenman & Co. His brother, Capt. Joseph W. Holmes, lived a few doors away at 35 Church Street. It appears that Benjamin F. Holmes later lived at another house in Mystic. He was killed by a train near Poquonock Bridge in 1892.