Ezra Parker House (1826)

As related in Houses of Essex, Vol. I, by Donald Malcarne (2004, Ivoryton Library Association), page 86, the house at 1 Main Street in Ivoryton (on the edge of Centerbrook) in Essex was built circa 1826 on land acquired in that year by Ezra Parker, just east of where his brother, Daniel Parker, had also purchased land for a homestead in the same year. The land had been part of the holdings of the Williams family, descendants of Charles Williams, the first iron maker in Potapoug Quarter (part of which would become the Town of Essex). Ezra Parker sold the house in 1843 and moved to Michigan. The house later returned to the Parker family when Chauncey Spencer, Jr., married to Ezra’s niece Temperance, bought it in 1864. It then remained in the family until 1910. The current front entrance portico and larger chimney are alterations made since the mid-1950s.

Chimney Crest (1930)

Wallace Barnes began manufacturing springs for clocks in Bristol in 1857. His grandsons, Fuller and Henry Barnes, developed the business into the Associated Spring Corporation, created by a merger of three companies in 1922. They also acquired other companies, including the spring-making firm of Dunbar Brothers. Fuller Barnes (1887-1955) served as president and his brother, Henry Clarke Barnes (1889-1966), was secretary-treasurer. In 1920, Fuller acquired a large property in Bristol where he and his brother would erect their mansions. Fuller built the Colonial Revival house called Copper Ledges in 1924 and Henry built the 32-room Tudor-style residence called Chimney Crest in 1930-1931. Located at 5 Founders Drive in Bristol, the house was designed by Perry & Bishop of New Britain. It was home to Henry and his wife, Lilian Houbertz Barnes (1891-1986) until they moved to Green Acre Farms on Perkins Street in Bristol. In the 1960s the Barnes mansions were used by Laurel Crest Academy, a prep school for boys, and more recently

(more…)

Titus Case House (1840)

In 1840, Capt. Titus Case (1769-1845) erected the house at 144 Cherry Brook Road in Canton. This had previously been the location of the home of Sgt. Daniel Case II, who’d arrived in the 1740s and built the first gristmill in town. Calvin Case also operated a mill, located west of the house, that had a 50-foot water wheel. His descendants used the house as a summer home. A historical case in the Canton Center Congregational Church was given in memory of his daughter, Kate Minerva Marsh (1836-1888). A later owner was Jeremiah Crowley, who made butter in the nearby creamery. The house’s cupola was added after the Civil War.

W.H. Morrison Building (1896)

Like Meeker’s Hardware in Danbury, which I featured on this site a few days ago, W. H. Morrison in Torrington was another hardware store that closed in the early twenty-first century after being in business for over a century. The Italianate commercial building at 63 Water Street was erected in 1896 by William H. Morrison to house his plumbing and hardware business. The store finally closed in 2010 after 114 years. The Southern New England Telephone Company rented offices on the second floor until 1930.

Saugatuck Congregational Church (1832)

The Town of Westport was incorporated in 1835, separating from the Town of Fairfield and taking land from the neighboring towns of Weston and Norwalk. The new town included the village of Saugatuck, which had developed as a prosperous shipping port. The Congregational Church in Saugatuck was erected in 1832 on a commanding site on the south side of the Post Road. The church was enlarged in 1857 to accommodate a growing congregation. Substantial growth in the early twentieth century led to the decision to move the church building to the other side of the Post Road, to a property of eight acres that Morris K. Jesup had donated in 1884. The move took place in 1950 and brought the building to its current location at 245 Post Road East. A new addition to house church school classrooms, offices, and other additional space, was erected in 1954-1956. On the night of Sunday, November 21, 2011, a devastating fire gutted much of the building, but the sanctuary was spared the most severe damage and the steeple remained standing. An intensive 2½ year effort of rebuilding and restoration resulted in the rededication of the church on March 8, 2015.

Meeker’s Hardware (1883)

Meeker’s Hardware was a Danbury institution for 125 years. In 1883, feed and grain dealers Hendrick Barnum and Oscar Meeker began a partnership that Meeker, who came from Bridgeport, would continue alone after Barnum’s death in 1886. In 1885 Meeker opened his tool and feed store at 86-90 White Street in Danbury. The building, also known as the Red Block, was designed by architect Charles Crossley of Danbury and was erected over a period from 1883 to 1889. The upper floors were destroyed by a fire that swept lower White Street in 1896, but Meeker soon rebuilt. The tall rear section originally housed the company’s feed and grain warehouse and there was a steam-operated grindstone in the basement that was in operation until about 1912. Starting in 1983 (the same year the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places), the store became known for selling Coca-Cola for 5 cents, as advertised by a sign painted on the side of the building. This was switched to Pepsi in 2006, after a Coca-Cola sales representative wanted Mr. Meeker to install newer and more expensive soda fountain equipment. The store was renovated in 2009. After Meeker’s Hardware closed in 2013, it remained vacant until Vazquez  Soccerchamp Sports opened in 2016. Vintage fixtures from the old store, including cabinets, counters and other artifacts were removed in 2018 to be sold by Provenance, a Phildelphia salvage company.

(more…)