Henry B. Bissell House (1850)

The Henry B. Bissell House, built in 1850, is located at 202 Maple Street in the Bantam section of Litchfield. In an area with numerous eighteenth and nineteenth-century wood frame farmhouses, it is a rare example of a stone house, being constructed of ashlar granite. The Bissell family, descended from one of Litchfield’s earliest settlers, were major landowners in Bantam. Henry B. Bissell (1814-1897), who built the house, was a deacon of the Congregational Church. He was described in 1896 in a Biographical Review volume entitled The Leading Citizens of Litchfield County, as “one of the most respected and prosperous agriculturists of this section of the county.” The book goes on to explain:

Deacon Henry B. Bissell had better educational advantages than were generally given a farmer’s son in his time. After finishing with the district schools he was sent to the seminary, where he was under the instruction of John P. Brace. He subsequently engaged in teaching, which he continued for six winters. His chief occupation, however, was assisting on the home farm, where he remained until twenty-eight years of age. Having by that time much experience in general farming he then bought the property on which he now resides. Since that time he has placed the two hundred and thirty acres of fertile land in a yielding condition and made many other valuable improvements, sparing neither time nor expense for that purpose. In 1850 Deacon Bissell erected his present residence, which stands on rising ground overlooking the village three miles distant, the granite used in its construction having been quarried on his own farm. He pays a good deal of attention to dairying, keeping some twenty head of fine cows, and finds this branch of his business quite profitable.

The house remained in the Bissell family until 1985, a period of 135 years.

Boardman School, Mystic Seaport (1765)

Boardman School

The Boardman School at Mystic Seaport is a one room schoolhouse that was originally built in the town of Preston. It may date to as early as 1765 (or c. 1840) and was named for the Boardman family whose land was adjacent to the schoolhouse. When the section of Preston called Glasgo, where the school was located, became the separate town of Griswold in 1815, Boardman School became District Seven School (it was also known as Potter Hill School). It served as a school until 1949, when it was moved to Mystic Seaport.

(more…)

Porter Gristmill House (1790)

The historic Porter Gristmill, which started operation in 1740 under the original mill operator Ebenezer Fuller, is located along Jeremy Brook at the west end of the Hebron Center Historic District. The original millworks were later moved to Old Sturbridge Village, where the millstones and other parts are now located in the village‘s 1938 Gristmill building. One of the surviving mill buildings, at 55 West Main Street in Hebron, is the miller’s house (pictured above), which was erected in 1790. The house’s front façade is one story, while the rear is three stories.

George Pettis House (1845)

The Greek Revival house at 568 Main Street in Portland was built in 1845 and remodeled in 1926. It was originally the home of George Pettis, a shoemaker. In 1927 the house was owned by Gothard A. Olson (1892-1984), whose flooring company, Gothard A Olson & Sons, is still in existence. The house was next owned by Aline E. Roman, who sold Harold Roman the adjacent land which he built the house at 564 Main Street in 1936-1937.

James Lyman Kellam House (1850)

171 Ferry Lane, South Glastonbury

The house at 171 Ferry Lane in South Glastonbury was built circa 1850 by James Lyman Kellam (1824-1897), a farmer, on land his father, James Kellam (1789-1878), had acquired in 1816. It is a Greek Revival-style house with a later nineteenth-century front porch. In 1893, James Lyman Kellam took over the job of keeping the system of kerosene lamps along the shore of the Connecticut River that guided ships to the correct channel at a challenging location where the river bends. After his death, two of his sons who lived in the house took over the job: Arthur Lyman Kellam (1873-1936), who was the official light keeper, and Walter Bulkeley Kellam (1863-1958), who became assistant keeper in 1905. For decades, Walter Kellam, who was blind, would make his way down a narrow catwalk every night to light the oil lamps. On May 31, 1931, the Hartford Courant had a profile of Walter Kellam (“Blind, He Lights the Way for Others: For Past 25 Years, Walter Kellam Has Tended River Beacons At South Glastonbury”), in which he describes lighting the lamps during a blizzard in 1926 and during the flood of 1927. Near the house is a historic barn which today is part of Horton Farm. The farm also has a number of historic tobacco sheds.

(more…)

Gilbert Block (1907)

Gilbert Block, aka Main Block in Mystic

The large commercial building at 1-17 West Main Street in Mystic, which has contained numerous businesses over the years, was erected in 1907 by the brothers Mark and Osgood Gilbert. It housed the offices of the Gilbert Transportation Company, the brothers’ shipyard where they built and repaired schooners. (There is a photo that shows the building they previously occupied on the site before they built the current structure). The company went bankrupt in 1909. There was a fire in 1915 that gutted the building. It was started because of an over-heated flue in Green’s Bakery and spread to a theater that showed silent films. The building remained vacant until 1924, when the structure was rebuilt and renamed the Main Block. The building continues to be used for retail stores and apartments. There is a video about the building:

(more…)

12 Chestnut Street, Bethel (1850)

Former Walker Ferry Shoe Store in Bethel

The building at 12 Chestnut Street in Bethel was once a commercial structure, with storefronts on the first floor and a two-level residence above. Walker Ferry (1822-1906), a shoemaker, had started business on the site in 1845. In about 1850, he tore down the earlier building and replaced it with the current one, which he occupied for many decades. At first he manufactured shoes on the first floor, employing a number of men, but later ceased shoemaking and switched to operating a retail shoe store, retiring shortly before his death in 1906. A c. 1890 image shows the shoe store on the right and McDowell’s Meat Market on the left.