The Jonathan Mix House (1799)

jonathan-mix-house.JPG

A good example of a Federal-style house (although the Palladian window may not be original to the house), the Jonathan Mix House, on Elm Street in New Haven, was built in 1799. In 1832, it was purchased by a nephew of Eli Whitney, Eli Whitney Blake, and was owned by members of his family until it was acquired by the Graduate Club in 1901. The next year, a rear addition was made, designed by Richard Clipston Sturgis of Boston.

The Mary Pritchard House (1836)

mary-prichard-house.JPG

James Abraham Hillhouse (1789-1841), a poet and friend of the important architects, Ithiel Town and Alexander Jackson Davis, was instrumental as a wealthy patron in the development of the area around New Haven’s Hillhouse Avenue. The street had been originally laid out during the Federal-era town planning undertaken by James Abraham’s father, James Hillhouse. By the 1830s, the area had become a prestigious neighborhood, with numerous Greek Revival mansions being built under the direction of the younger Hillhouse. Among these was one for the wealthy widow Mary Pritchard, constructed using plans drawn up by Davis. Ira Atwater and Nelson Hotchkiss were contracted to build the Greek Revival home with tall Corinthian columns, which was completed in 1836. Like most of the other buildings around it, the house is now owned by Yale.

The Willis Bristol House (1845)

willis-bristol-house.JPG

Located on Chapel Street, in New Haven’s Wooster Square neighborhood, the Willis Bristol House was designed by New Haven architect Henry Austin. Designed with a basic Italianate shape, the house has elaborate detailing in what has been described as either the Moorish Revival style or a style influenced by the Royal Pavilion at Brighton, which was built in the Indo-Saracenic style. Yale has original plans and illustrations of the house and a there is also a HABS record. The house was built for Willis Bristol, of Bristol & Hall, boot and shoe manufacturers.

The John Pitkin Norton House (1849)

john-pitkin-norton-house.jpg

Henry Austin designed one of New Haven’s earliest houses to be modeled on the style of an Italian villa: the John Pitkin Norton House on Hillhouse Avenue. Built in 1848-49, the house was inspired by the design for a villa published by Andrew Jackson Downing. As seen in HABS documentation from 1964, the house had lost much of its original detailing by then. In 2003, exterior restorations were made. The house was built for the Yale science professor John Pitkin Norton, an agricultural chemist who wrote Elements of Scientific Agriculture. Some additions were later made, including the third floor. The house was acquired by Yale in 1923 and is now a building of the Yale School of Management.

John M. Davies House (1868)

john-davies-house.JPG

When it was completed, on Prospect Street in New Haven in 1868, the John M. Davies House was the largest house in the city. It was designed by Henry Austin (with David R. Brown) for Davies, who owned a shirt-manufacturing company with Oliver Winchester, before the latter became famous for manufacturing firearms. The irregularly laid-out French Second Empire-style house lies on rising ground fronted by a wide lawn, creating a dramatic composition. In 1947, the house was purchased by a New Haven cooking school that would become the Culinary Institute of America. In 1964, while still owned by the Institute, it was the subject of a HABS study. In 1972, the house (now renamed the Betts House) was purchased by Yale University and remained unused for many years. Damaged by a fire in 1990, the house was restored in 2000-2002 and now serves as the Yale Center for the Study of Globalization.

Eliakim Cook House (1790)

Eliakim Cook of East Windsor Hill (now in South Windsor) bought a house on Old Main Street in 1738 that had been built by Matthew Grant in 1710. Eliakim died in 1776 and in 1778 the house was rented to Dr. Primus Manumit. Formerly a slave belonging to Dr. Alexander Wolcott of Windsor, Primus was released from bondage and took the Latin word “Manumit” as his surname Having assisted Dr. Wolcott over the years in preparing medicines for the sick, he moved to East Windsor and worked as a doctor until his death in 1787. The old Eliakim Cook house was removed around 1790 when Cook’s grandson, also named Eliakim, built the current house on the lot. Not long after it was built, Eliakim sold it to his brother, Benjamin Cook, Jr. Note: This post was written on 09/02/2011 and backdated so that there would be a regular post for 04/01/2008 as well as an April Fool’s Post.