St. John’s Episcopal Church, Essex (1897)

st-johns-episcopal-church.JPG

Around 1890, St. John’s Episcopal Church, the first Episcopal church in Essex, was built in Centerbrook, near what is today the Essex Steam Train station. At the time, the Essex Village section of town was becoming more prominent, so around 1800 the church building was moved to Prospect Street. In 1897, a new church was constructed at Main and Cross Streets. This 1897 church contains many stained glass windows taken from the earlier building. The church was designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style by Bridgeport architect Joseph W. Northrup (he also designed houses and his plans were used in other parts of the country, including a house in Texas). In 1999, a new construction project linked the church to the adjacent parish house. The church rectory is the Richard Hayden House on Main Street.

St. Patrick’s Church, East Hampton (1897)

st-patrick-church.JPG

St. Patrick’s Church in East Hampton began as the Mission of East Hampton in 1857, with the first church building being constructed in 1869. The current church, located half a mile east of the first building, was dedicated in 1897 and a rectory was built in 1901. Originally served by St. Mary’s Church in Portland, St. Patrick Parish was set apart from Portland in 1900.

Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church (1874)

metropolitan-ame-zion-church.jpg

The Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church traces its origin to 1833, when the first African American church in Hartford split into two congregations. One was Talcott Street (now Faith) Congregational Church and the other later became Metropolitan A.M.E. Zion, which is Hartford’s oldest black Methodist congregation. With earlier church buildings having been located on Elm street and later on Pearl street, the congregation moved to the current church, on Main Street in Hartford’s North End, in the late 1920s. This High Victorian Gothic church was built in 1874 as North Methodist Episcopal Church and in 1926 it was bought by Emmanuel Synagogue, the interim owners until the building became the Metropolitan A.M.E. Zion Church.

The Congregational Church of East Hampton (1948)

congregational-church-east-hampton.JPG

A succession of Congregational Church buildings have stood on the same spot in East Hampton. The congregation was established in 1746 as the Third Society of East Middletown (the Second Society was in Middle Haddam, now the Second Congregational Church of East Hampton). East Middletown later became Chatham, which later became the towns of Portland and East Hampton. The first church building was constructed in 1755 and the second a century later. This church was destroyed by fire in 1941 and the current church, built in the same Greek Revival style as its predecessor, was completed in 1948.

Trinity Episcopal Church, Seymour (1857)

trinity-episcopal-church-seymour.jpg

In February 1797, a new Episcopal church was organized at a meeting in the home of Dr. Samuel Sanford in Seymour. By spring, the cornerstone for a church building had been laid but, due to a lack of funds, Union Church was only completed in 1816. Rev. Richard Mansfield served as the part-time rector until 1802. The church grew over the years and, in 1853, its name was changed to Trinity Episcopal. In 1857, the church was almost completely rebuilt, starting with only the old framework of the building, under the direction of architect Henry Austin of New Haven. There have been changes to the church over the years. The current spire is not as tall or complex than the one Austin originally built. At one time, the church also had Victorian-style ornamentation inside, but in 1997, when the church celebrated its 200th anniversary, the interior was completely renovated in the Colonial Revival manner.

Second Congregational Church, East Hampton (1855)

second-congregational-church.JPG

The Second Congregational Church of East Hampton was organized in 1740. This church originally served the communities of both Middle Haddam (pdf) and Haddam Neck, but these separated in 1855, when the Second Congregational Church was built in Middle Haddam. The church was moved to its present site in 1864 and was completely rebuilt in 1877 in the High Victorian Gothic style, to a design by Henry Austin. Today, the church remains the most imposing and architecturally significant building in Middle Haddam.