
In 1861, David Camp built his own house on the east side of Main Street in Durham (14-16 Main Street, old numbering; 37 Main Street, current numbering). Camp was a carpenter from a prominent family of carpenters in nineteenth-century Durham.

In 1861, David Camp built his own house on the east side of Main Street in Durham (14-16 Main Street, old numbering; 37 Main Street, current numbering). Camp was a carpenter from a prominent family of carpenters in nineteenth-century Durham.

This is Historic Buildings of Connecticut’s 1700th building post! Milton Hall in Milton in Litchfield was built in 1900 on site of a former store and Post Office that had burned in 1894. Events at the hall are organized by the Milton Public Hall Association.

Captain Job Camp built a house on Main Street in Durham in the eighteenth century, which later passed to his son, Manoah Camp and then to his grandson, Elizur Camp, both of whom were shoemakers. In 1861, this original house was given by Elizur Camp to his daughter, Susan E. Camp, who had married Francis Hubbard in 1857. They replaced the old house with a new one in 1862. Francis Hubbard was an owner of the Merriam Manufacturing Company. The house remained in the Hubbard family until it was sold to Frederick Brewster, a wealthy New Haven businessman who owned Brookfield Farm in Durham. Concerned about the fact that Durham did not have a resident physician, he rented the house to a series of doctors from 1928 to 1941.

Harwinton’s first school was built in 1747 and was soon joined by two others. By the nineteenth century, Harwinton had 12 one-room district schoolhouses. The former First District Schoolhouse, built in 1840, was moved to its current location, across the street from the post office on Route 118, by the Harwinton Lions Club in 1972 and restored the following year by the Harwinton Historical Society. Behind the school is the Society’s barn museum, which displays tools used on farms in the town in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Originally at Laurel and Canoe Hill Roads in New Canaan, the Rock School was built in 1799 and closed in 1930. Located since 1973 on the property of the New Canaan Historical Society, the Rock School was saved from destruction through the efforts of local school children, who raised money and awareness for its relocation.

The Colton-Hayes Tobacco Barn in Granby was built in 1914 by Fred M. Colton and was given to the Salmon Brook Historical Society by his daughters in 1976. It is now a museum, located with the Society’s other buildings on Salmon Brook Street. The barn contains a diverse collection representing many aspects of Granby’s past. Adjacent to the barn is the Bushy Hill Mail Hut, which once stood where Barndoor Hills Road meets Bushy Hill Road in the Granby community of Bushy Hill.

The Little Boston School in East Lyme was first established in 1734. There is a surviving Little Boston School House that was built around 1805 and originally stood on the north side of West Main Street. The school was run by the Second Ecclesiastical Society of Lyme until 1856 and from then until 1922 by the Town of East Lyme. After closing as a school, the building was donated to the East Lyme Historical Society in 1926 and moved to a new location, adjacent to the Thomas Lee House. Restored to an early twentieth-century appearance in 1973, the school house is now a museum.
You must be logged in to post a comment.