Bartholomew Carini – Frank Lenti House (1909)

You can read much more about this house in my Substack piece “Frank Lenti and the Italians of Glastonbury.”

At 20 Lenti Terrace in Glastonbury is a substantial stone residence built into a hillside. The house‘s frame is said to have been put up by a dentist, who never completed the home because of the death of his wife. The house was completed in about 1909 by Bartholomew Carini, an immigrant from Northern Italy, who owned thousands of acres of land in town. He employed masonry construction, which is commonly found in vernacular Italian architecture. Another example of similar construction in Glastonbury is the ground level of the house on Main Street known as the “Glastonbury Villa.” Carini, a skilled hewer of oak and chestnut trees to make railroad ties, had arrived in about in Glastonbury in about 1890. He was soon able to purchase his own land and was soon joined by other Italian immigrants who began to grow fruit and establish orchards.

The house was later owned by Frank Lenti, another Italian immigrant, who first opened the famous Frank’s Restaurant in Hartford in 1933. After Lenti’s death in 1954, his wife eventually returned to Italy. For a number of years, the house was vacant and taxes on it went unpaid. The town was about to sell it in an auction in 1969, when Mrs. Lenti suddenly returned from Italy and arranged to sell it privately to pay the back taxes and the town’s cost in arranging the auction.

According to the Glastonbury’s Historic Resources Inventory page for the house, the date of 1909 is set in tesserae over its one chimney. The one-and-a-half house appears to have two-and-a-half stories when viewed from Chestnut Hill Road because it is built on a hill along a retaining wall with the basement exposed on the northeast side. The house’s front entrance is on that side, facing Lenti Terrace. The original floorplan has been altered, with a recessed side porch having been enclosed.

Canton Center General Store (1830)

The building at 180 Cherry Brook Road in Canton Center originally stood on the bank of Cherry Brook where it was built in 1830 by Norman Case as a woodworking shop. A flood in 1870 destroyed the stone dam on which this and other manufacturing operations in the vicinity depended. In 1874, Giles Sisson converted the carpenter shop’s upper floor into a social hall. The following year, brothers Austin and Myron Skinner of Middletown were persuaded by Rev. D. B. Hubbard of Canton Center’s Congregational Church to open a general store on the ground floor. The store has had many owners over the last century and a half. In 1886, while it was owned by George Lamphier, Sr., the store was moved east from Cherry Brook to its current location along Cherry Brook Road.

Former Noank Jail (1913)

In 1850 a small square building was erected to serve as a temporary lock-up near where the railway Depot is located today in village of Noank in Groton. In 1913 the building was sold and moved to its current lot at 87 Main Street in Noank. It was then used for various purposes over the years, including a barbershop, a speakeasy, and an insurance office, before becoming a private residence. Additions over time have included a rear kitchen, side garage, and a back porch.

Allen Avery – Welcome Fidler House (1879)

Allen Avery (1838-1915) was a businessman in Mystic who was very active in the local community. He worked as a ship joiner before entering the undertaking business, later opening a furniture store and then engaging in the real estate. He is associated with several houses in Mystic, including his 1874 house on Pearl Street on the Groton side and a later house on East Main Street on the Stonington side. In about 1879 he also erected the building (pictured above) at 6 Pearl Street. It’s described in the National Register of Historic Places Nomination form for the Mystic River Historic District as a “1 1/2-story cottage with roof of four gables, one in each direction,” as well as “Italianate solid brackets at the eaves returns of the front gable.” Also, “Window caps have small brackets.”

As related in the booklet The Mystic River Historical Society: Our First 40 Years (researched and written by Patricia M. Schaefer) the building was purchased in 1985 by Sandor Balint, first violinist
of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra. He and his wife Joyce, who was also a violinist, felt it was a good omen that the house had been owned in 1912 by a man named Welcome Fidler. According to Kelly Sullivan, Fidler was a carriage-maker from Woodville, Rhode Island, where he was the subject of frequent raids by the local authorities for running illegal saloons. He then relocated to the building on Pearl Street in Mystic, where he operated a lunch room and pool hall on the ground floor and lived upstairs. He had not left his old ways behind however, because in 1909 and again six years later, he was raided by the police, who seized quantities of whiskey.

Neri Case House (1848)

The house at 529 Cherry Brook Road in Canton was erected circa 1848 by Neri Case (1803-1890). In the 1869 Atlas of Hartford and Tolland Counties the house is labeled as the property of L. Case. This was Lucius Case (1819-1894), Neri’s son-in-law. From 1937 until 1958, the house served as the North Canton post office. At the time it was the residence of Mrs. Ruth Vining Gracy, who was the postmaster. She continued in that role after the current North Canton Post Office building at 531 Cherry Brook Road was opened in 1958, retiring in 1967. The post office had previously been located in the Adams House at 4 West Simsbury Road, the previous postmaster being Gracy’s aunt, Mary Vining Adams. Gracy was active in the Cherry Brook Grange and the North Canton Methodist Church. She wrote a poem about the wedding of Dorothy Bahre and Richard Wright on Christmas Eve, 1939 when the church caught fire! She also wrote historical articles in the magazine The Lure of the Litchfield Hills about the church and the North Canton schools. Her son Forrest Gracy served as a U.S. Marine in the South Pacific during World War II.

Ira Eaton House (1810)

The house at 12 Maple Street in Kent was built c.1810 for Ira Eaton (born 1786) and his wife Lucinda (born 1790). Ira was a farmer who represented Kent in the state legislature in 1833. The house was enlarged around the time of the marriage of Ira and Lucinda’s son, Luther. His life is described in the History of Kent, Connecticut (1897), by Francis Atwater:

Luther Eaton, a son of Ira Eaton, was born in Kent January 4, 1826. He was educated in the public schools of the town and J. C. Howard academy in Warren, Conn. On March 26, 1850, he married Miss Sophronia E. Tobey, of Poughkeepsie, N. Y., his present wife. From his youth up Mr. Eaton has been a farmer and still has something to do in overseeing his farms, and for thirty years he has been a packer and dealer in Connecticut leaf tobacco. In politics has always been a strong Democrat, both for sound money and protection, what has been fitly called a Samuel J. Randall Democrat. Mr. Eaton has always been one of the public men of Kent, and has held nearly every town office, besides representing the town in the Legislature in 1865, and with others had very much to do in 1881 in forming the Kent Water company, which succeeded in furnishing the village with an abundance of good water. Mr. Eaton has been president of the Water company since 1882, and there has been no public enterprise started in the town of Kent but what Mr. Eaton has done his full share in both paying out money and in seeing to it that it was done as it should be. The family of Eatons came to Kent about 1757 from the town of Tolland, Tolland county, Connecticut.

(more…)

Hank’s Mill (1882)

The village of Hanks Hill in Mansfield was the home of silk manufacturing company of Hanks Brothers. The original mill, built by Rodney Hanks and his nephew Horace Hanks in 1810 and believed to be the first water powered silk mill in the United States, was purchased by Henry Ford in the 1930s and moved to the Greenfield Village open air museum in Dearborn, Michigan. Another mill building was destroyed by fire in 1882 and replaced by the building at 247 Hanks Hill Road, now much altered to serve as a residence. It is just across the street from the Hanks Reservoir. Nearby, at 233 Hanks Hill Road, is a former boarding house for mill employees, built in the early nineteenth century (or as early as 1789).

(more…)