Alsop-Weeks House (1780)

At 202 Washington Street in Middletown is a house that has gone through a number of stylistic changes over two centuries. Known as the Wetmore-Weeks or Alsop-Weeks House, it was built around 1780 by Chauncey Whittlesey, wealthy merchant and supporter of the American Revolution. The house was later owned by Charles R. Alsop, developer of the now rare Alsop Pocket percussion revolver. Alsop, who also served as mayor of Middletown (1843-1846) and state senator (1855), made alterations to the house around 1840, remodeling the Georgian-style building in the then-popular Gothic Revival style. Later in the nineteenth century, the Atwater family remodeled the interior of the house in the neo-Federal style. They sold it to Frank B. Weeks, who had just served as governor of Connecticut from 1909 to 1911. After his term, Weeks became a trustee of Wesleyan and bequeathed the house to the University at his death in 1935. The house has since been a student residence. A rear addition was constructed in 1966.

Bulkeley School, New London (1873)

The Bulkeley School, the gift of Leonard Hallam Bulkley, was an all-boys high school in New London. It was built in 1871-1873 and continued as a private school until 1951, when New London High School opened. The Bulkeley School then became the New London Junior High School until it finally closed in the 1970s. As explained in A modern History of New London County, Connecticut, Vol. I (1922):

Mr. Bulkeley was a merchant of modest pretensions, whose place of business was very near the school which now bears his name. He was born December 22, 1799, and died December 19, 1849. He left an estate valued at something less than $25,000 to found a secondary school which should be free to boys of New London. In his will he provided that the funds should be kept intact until the trustees, who were named in the will, should decide that they were justified in the erection of the schoolhouse. […]

This official board decided in 1870 that the estate had increased so considerably in its careful management that they were justified in beginning operations. Accordingly, plans were secured from the famous architect, Mr. Eidlitz, and upon a lot presented to them by the city they erected a very substantial and attractive building. How little they anticipated the growth of the city may be seen from the fact that the school provided seating capacity for only forty-two boys in the main study hall. The school was opened in September, 1873

The building, designed by Leopold Eidletz, had various additions constructed over the years, starting with an assembly room and laboratories in 1899 (further additions were built in 1912, 1922 and 1934). When the city purchased the school building in 1951, the money went into a trust fund and the Bulkeley School Trustees and the Alumni Association now give out annual scholarships. The former school building served as the City’s recreation offices and then stood vacant for a time. The Mohegan Tribe acquired the building for use as a professional office and demolished one the earlier additions for a parking garage. in 1992 the former Bulkeley School building was chosen as the new home of the Regional Multicultural Magnet School. In 2003 the building was renovated and expanded, remaining earlier additions being replaced with a substantial new building attached to the original structure. The structure no longer has its original tower.

45-51 Pratt Street, Hartford (1919)

The commercial building at 45-51 Pratt Street in Hartford was designed by Isaac A. Allen, Jr. Built in 1919, it is notable for its fanciful Gothic detailing, rendered in white terra-cotta. The building also clearly displays its modern use of structural steel allowing large areas of glass. The first floor detailing was later obscured by alterations to the building, but was restored in more recent years.

St. Peter Church, Torrington (1928)

St. Peter parish in Torrington was formed in 1907, when Bishop Michael A. Tierney named Father Joachim C. Martinez as pastor to the city’s Italian immigrants. Beginning in a basement chapel on Center Street, the parish later faced closure, but a parish committee successfully appealed for the restoration of a permanent pastor in 1914. The parish then expanded, building a new church at 107 East Main Street in 1927-1928 and opening a parish school in 1956, which combined with St. Francis School in 2005.

Second Congregational Church, New London (1868)

The Second Congregational Church of New London, at 45 Broad Street, was built in 1868. According to the History of New London, by Frances Manwaring Caulkins, “A second Congregational church was organized [due to overcrowding] by a colony of nineteen members from the first church, April 28th, 1835. A church had been previously built [it had been completed in August, 1834] and dedicated April 23d [1835].” This church, which stood at the corner of Jay and Huntington Streets, was later destroyed by fire and the current church, on Broad Street was dedicated in 1870. It was designed by the Albany, NY architects Nichols and Brown. The church suffered complete interior damage during a fire on December 3, 1926.