Dr. Lord’s Hall (1765)

dr-lords-hall.jpg

The front section of the building known as Dr. Lord’s Hall was possibly built as early as 1765 by Thomas Griffing, on Main Street in Stonington Borough. In 1811, the lot is described as having a shop and a house. In 1814, Dr. William Lord became the building’s owner through a defaulted mortgage. He enlarged it and gutted the second floor, installing a sprung floor so that dance classes could be held, even though, at the time, a revival movement was underway and the Baptist church nearby disapproved of dancing. Later, the first Stonington Band practiced in the house and the band’s practice room was used for Episcopal services from 1844 to 1849, while a church was being built. In later years, the house was a tenement and a grocery store, but is now a private home. Dr. Lord’s own residence, no longer standing, was nearby on Main Street.

The Oliver Mather House (1777)

Colonel Oliver Mather was born in 1749 and married Jemima Elsworth, the sister of Oliver Ellsworth, in 1778. Their eldest son, also named Oliver, graduated from Yale in 1799. The Mather House, on Broad Street in Windsor, was built the year before the colonel’s marriage. Mather died in 1829 and around 1840 the house was remodeled, adding a heavy balustrade along the roof and above a square hip-roofed entry porch. In 1901, the building became the home of the Windsor Public Library (founded in 1895). Early on, the librarian lived in the house and the library was in a one-story addition to the house. Further additions have since been made and the front facade has been restored to a colonial appearance.