Samuel A. Foot House (1767)

foote-house.jpg

The Foote House, on South Main Street in Cheshire, was built in 1767 for Rev. John Foot (d. 1813), the second minister of the town’s First Congregational Church. John Foot‘s son, Samuel Augustus Foot, was born in the house in 1780. Samuel A. Foot(e), who studied at Yale and with Tapping Reeve in Litchfield, went on to become a US Representative, Senator and Governor of Connecticut. Foot continued to live in the 1767 house, adding a Greek Revival portico to the entryway in the 1830s. Gov. Foote’s son, Andrew Hull Foote, was an admiral in the US Navy during the Civil War.

Rev. Samuel Street House (1673)

samuel-street-house.jpg

On South Main Street in Wallingford is the home of Reverend Samuel Street, built in 1673. Samuel Street was the town’s first minister and one of its first settlers, being one of the original 39 signers of the 1668 Wallingford Agreement, or original covenant of the first Wallingford planters. Rev. Street‘s daughter, Mary, married John Hall. Their son, Lyman Hall, Street‘s great-grandson, was a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Rev. Street, who died at age 82 in 1717, served as minister for 45 years.

Rev. James Dana House (1760)

rev-james-dana-house.jpg

The Rev. James Dana House was built around 1760. Rev. Dana was Pastor of Wallingford’s First Congregational Church during the period of the Revolutionary War. When Rev. Dana arrived from Cambridge, MA to become the church’s minister in 1758, he was soon at the center of what would be called the “Wallingford Controversy.” Dana was supported by those called “Old Lights,” who opposed the “New Light” evangelical preachers of the Great Awakening. As explained by Charles Henry Stanley Davis, in his History of Wallingford (1870), “Dr. Dana was understood to be of the then liberal school of Boston and that region, and of that party which had opposed the revival of religion; his settlement in so large and important a church, would be a triumph of that party, which had already become a minority in the county and in the colony; and therefore the new light men were determined by all means to prevent the ordination, and when the thing was done to undo it if possible.”

According to Gideon Hiram Hollister’s History of Connecticut, Vol. 1 (1858), Dana was settled as minister in Wallingford, “in opposition to a large proportion of the members of the society. It was contended by his opponents that he was not orthodox in sentiment; that he had evaded the enquiries of the committee as to his views on important doctrinal points, and finally replied impertinently; and, after his alleged ordination, it was claimed that the ordination was not valid.”

The Congregational consociations of New Haven and southern Hartford counties joined to declare a sentence of non-Communion against Dana and the Wallingford church. As George Punchard wrote, in his History of Congregationalism, Vol. 5 (1881), the controversy, “resulted in a division of the church, and the formation of a new one by the disaffected brethren, some of whom were among the most influential men of the town. From Wallingford the controversy spread all over the colony, and continued for years, alienating brethren and dividing churches.” Some years later, in 1772, a kind of amnesty was eventually declared for Dana and his church and some of his old opponents were reconciled with him. An example of one of Rev. Dana’s sermons is one he gave on The African Slave Trade in 1791. Dana left Wallingford in 1789 and lived in New Haven until his death in 1812.

Weed-Enders House (1790)

weed-enders.jpg

One of the four historic properties owned by the Salmon Brook Historical Society is the Weed-Enders House. The house was originally constructed in 1790, six miles to the west of its present location, by Moses Weed. It was then owned by members of the Weed family and then other families, until it was acquired in 1924 by John Enders, who used it as a hunting lodge. In 1974, after the Enders State Forest was established, the house was moved to be adjacent to the Abijah Rowe House. It is now part of the Samon Brook Historical Society’s museum.