Overlooking the Cove on Hartford Avenue in Wethersfield, the 1774 Solomon Welles House, built for a descendant of the colonial governor Thomas Welles, is owned by the town and is available to be rented for events.
Deming-Standish House (1787)

Built in 1787 for Henry Deming on Main Street in Wethersfield and later owned by the Standish family, the Deming-Standish House was given to the town of Wethersfield in 1928. It is very similar to the 1783 brick house built for Samuel Woodhouse, Jr., on nearby River Road. In 1800, James Francis and his cousin, Simeon, were contracted to do the woodworking of the front rooms and the windows, the facade thus being updated in the Federal style. Within a few years, the neighboring Hurlbut and Shepard Houses would be constructed in the Federal style. The house was leased to the Wethersfield Historical Society in 1983 and over the years has been rented to different proprietors as a restaurant, first as The Standish House, and more recently as The Village Tavern. It is currently between tenants.
(more…)Samuel Woodhouse, Jr. House (1783)

A brick gambrel-roofed house, on River Road in Wethersfield, was constructed for Samuel Woodhouse, Jr. in 1783. He was a sailor and shipbuilder and the son of Samuel Woodhouse, Sr. and Thankful Blinn, the granddaughter of the famous cabinetmaker Peter Blinn. Woodhouse also served in the Revolutionary War.
(more…)Captain Francis Bulkeley House (1750)

The home of Capt. Francis Bulkeley, on Main Street in Wethersfield has a similar asymmetrical arrangement to that of the Silas Deane House in Wethersfield and the Moses Brace–Uriah Cadwell House in West Hartford. The date of 1750 may be too early, as those houses date to the 1760s.
(more…)Moses Brace–Uriah Cadwell House (1766)

The Moses Brace–Uriah Cadwell House, on Flagg Road in West Hartford, is a colonial house with an asymmetrical arrangement of windows on the facade that is similar to that of the Silas Deane House in Wethersfield, which was built around the same time. I assume that Moses Brace was the first owner. Uriah Cadwell owned the house in the nineteenth century.
This blog is three months old now!
Enoch Kelsey House (1799)
Built in 1799 in Newington by the farmer and tinsmith Enoch Kelsey and his son, David Kelsey. The Kelsey House originally stood on Kelsey Street, but was moved to Main Street in 1979 by the Newington Historical Society & Trust, and it currently serves as a colonial house museum.
Beardslee-Mix House (1774)
The Beardslee-Mix House was built around 1774 and originally stood on South Main Street in West Hartford. In the 1930s, when the old farms along South Main was being subdivided to build houses, it was moved to Rockledge Drive. The house was probably built by Abraham Webster, brother of Noah Webster. In 1810, the farm was bought by Elisha Mix, who sold it to Jeremiah Beardslee. It then passed to Beardslee’s son-in-law, Henry Mix.
You must be logged in to post a comment.