
The oldest house is Rocky Hill is the Philip Goffe House on Old Main Street. It was built in 1655, when Rocky Hill was part of Wethersfield. Philip Goffe was Wethersfield’s first town crier.

The oldest house is Rocky Hill is the Philip Goffe House on Old Main Street. It was built in 1655, when Rocky Hill was part of Wethersfield. Philip Goffe was Wethersfield’s first town crier.

Located on Main Street, across from the Timothy Edwards Cemetery, in the East Windsor Hill Historic District of South Windsor, is a small house on a knoll. Its construction was begun by Matthew Sadd Jr. (son of Matthew Sadd the carpenter), who purchased the land in 1781. It was completed by a later owner, Samuel Terry, Jr., a brother of the clockmaker Eli Terry. The house has undergone extensive renovations, including the complete rebuilding of the old center chimney.

Originally built for the father or brother of Capt. Ashbel Wright on Main Street in Wethersfield in 1766. Wright, a sea captain, was later a militiaman in the Revolutionary War at Lexington and Bunker Hill. From 1824 to 1833, the house was the home of Reverend Joseph Emerson, who ran the Female Seminary, located in the Old Academy across the street.
(more…)Currently located on North Meadow Road in Windsor, the 1780 William A. Lovell House was moved from the area of Hayden Station by Capt. Nathaniel Howard in 1807.
Located on Tryon Street in Glastonbury, at the end of Ferry Lane, the John Caswell House was built in 1783. Caswell was a clock and furniture-maker. The house was occupied by the same family, the Caswells and their Miller descendants, for over a century and a half, including Harriet Caswell Miller, who taught at the District 10 School next door at the turn-of -the-last-century.
Built around 1693, on Main Street, by the town of Glastonbury for its first minister, Reverend Timothy Stevens. Building a Meeting House and having a resident minister were requirements the new town had to meet to seperate from Wethersfield. Given a choice between a 20-foot house, or one twice the length–provided he supplied the nails, glass and iron–the minister opted for the larger size. The house is also notable for having an early brick foundation. Like other seventeenth century houses in Glastonbury, the house faces south.
Located on Main Street in Glastonbury, the house built by William Wickham was constructed in two sections. The first section, built in 1685, with its front facade facing south, was originally a saltbox. After the marriage of William Wickham‘s son John, in 1716, an addition was completed the following year, facing Main Street, which had been laid out in 1698. The new addition featured a gambrel roof and the roof on the south facade was adjusted to match it.
You must be logged in to post a comment.