
Located on Palisado Avenue in Windsor, the Taylor Chapman House was constructed in 1764 in the Georgian style.

Located on Palisado Avenue in Windsor, the Taylor Chapman House was constructed in 1764 in the Georgian style.

Capt. Allyn Stillman was a Revolutionary War blockade runner and soldier in the militia. His house, built in 1766 on Main Street in Wethersfield, features a typical Connecticut River Valley double door. Allyn’s brother, Nathaniel Stillman, Jr., was also a ship captain and had a house on Main Street.
(more…)
Timothy Stillman was a later resident of the house on Main Street in Wethersfield that bears his name. It was built around 1750, or perhaps even earlier. Captain and Deacon Timothy Stillman was a ship master who commanded the brig Ontario.
(more…)
A 1717 farmhouse, on Main Street in Farmington, was purchased in 1798 and enlarged by Dr. Eli Todd. He had been educated at Yale and settled in Farmington to practice medicine, setting up a hospital for patients with smallpox. Later moving to Hartford, he became a pioneer in the field of psychiatry. He was the principal founder of the Connecticut Retreat for the Insane in Hartford, now known as the Institute of Living, and became its first superintendent, serving until his death in 1833. His house in Farmington would have other owners, including Alfred Pope, who bought the house in 1899 and lived here while his new home, Hill-Stead, was being constructed nearby. Pope made additional alterations to the house in the Colonial-Revival style.

The Dr. Joshua Belden House, constructed in 1722, is located on Main Street in Newington. A center-chimney colonial house, it was updated in the Greek Revival style, with columns and pediment on the facade. Records show that Dr. Belden had two “bound” children, or indentured servants, in his household.

Around 1799, Simeon Wright made significant changes to a house originally built in the 1760s on Main Street in Wethersfield by his father, Josiah Wright. The alterations, perhaps influenced by the construction of the nearby Robbins and Bunce Houses, updated the home in the Federal style by the addition of semicircular windows. He also added a new gable roof, which allowed a larger attic. The Joseph Wright House, now a business, forms part of a row of three Wright family houses, which includs the David Wright and Ashbel Wright Houses.
(more…)
Built by Josiah Wright Jr. for his son, David Wright, on Main Street in Wethersfield around 1791. David Wright was a brother of Capt. Ashbel Wright, whose house had already been built right next door, to the north.
(more…)
You must be logged in to post a comment.