Elias Sprague House (1821)

elias-sprague-house.jpg

A late example of a Colonial-style house in what is known as the Cape Cod style, the Elias Sprague House in Coventry was built in 1821 and is located on South Street, not far from the Nathan Hale Homestead and the Strong=Porter House. Very little is known about the house’s builder, Elias Sprague. The home is now a property of the Coventry Historical Society, although that organization is currently seeking to sell the house in order to maintain its other buildings.

The Pardee-Morris House (1680)

pardee_morris_house.jpg

The original Thomas Morris House was built around 1680, off what is now Lighthouse Road in the Morris Cove section of New Haven. It is a rare example of a stone ender house in Connecticut. The ell was added around 1767. On July 5, 1779, during the Revolutionary War, the British raided New Haven and burned the house. The surviving stone and timbers were used by Capt. Amos Morris to rebuild the home the following year. In 1915, William Pardee bought and restored the house, bequeathing it to the New Haven Colony Historical Society in 1918. Known as the Pardee-Morris House, it was open to the public as a house museum for many years, but was forced to close in 2000 due to a lack of funds. Now falling into disrepair, the house, which William Hosley describes as, “the most historic property of the Colonial era in New Haven,” faces an uncertain future.

Gideon Welles House (1783)

gideon-welles-house.jpg

The Gideon Welles House, on Hebron Avenue in Glastonbury, was built in 1783 by Samuel Welles, a Revolutionary War captain, for his son of the same name, who had married Anna Hale in 1782. The most famous member of the Welles family to live in the house was Gideon Welles, who was born there in 1802 and would become Lincoln’s Secretary of the Navy during the Civil War. The house was inherited by Gideon‘s brother Thaddeus Welles, but Gideon Welles made a notable return visit in 1864 for the funeral of his nephew, who had been a casualty of the war. During the visit, Welles sat on the porch with Admiral David G. Farragut to plan what would become the successful Union victory at the Battle of Mobile Bay. Gideon Welles had been living in a house on Linden Place in Hartford before the Civil War and later lived in a house on Charter Oak Place. Welles also wrote about his time in Lincoln’s cabinet in his book, Lincoln and Seward and in his posthumously published diary.

The house was lived in by members of the Welles family until 1932. It was originally located where the Welles-Chapman Tavern now stands, but was going to be demolished in 1935 to make way for a Post Office. Dr. Lee J. Whittles and others in town formed a committee to save the house and in 1936, Ernest Victor Llewellyn purchased the house and moved it to a neighboring lot on the New London Turnpike (Hebron Avenue). This committee would eventually become the Historical Society of Glastonbury. In 1974, the house was again moved further up Hebron Avenue to become a Senior Center. Still owned by the town today, the building now houses businesses and shops.

Sheldon’s Tavern (1760)

Sheldon's Tavern (1760)

The house built by Elisha Sheldon, on North Street in Litchfield in 1760, is commonly known as Sheldon’s Tavern, because it served as one in the late eighteenth century. There is a tradition that George Washington slept in the house. In 1795, the house’s then owner, Uriah Tracy, hired builder William Sprats to add the central pavilion and Palladian window, which resemble those of the house Sprats designed for Julius Deming across the street. Tracy was a US Congressman and Senator. His son-in-law, James Gould, was the partner of Tapping Reeve at the Litchfield Law School and continued running it after Reeve’s death. The Tavern, also once known as the Gould House, is notable for having shingles rather than the clapboards typical in the eighteenth century.

The Hezekiah Thompson House (1760)

hezekiah-thompson.jpg

Hezekiah Thompson, born in New Haven in 1735, decided to set aside his occupation as a saddler at the age of 30 and began to study the law. In 1760, he built a house in Woodbury, where he was one of the town’s first lawyers, continuing his practice until 1795. Thompson also served in the State Assembly. The house was owned by the Averill family in the nineteenth century and was known as the Averill Mansion. The Hezekiah Thompson House and Garden were restored in 1983 and again in 2007. Today the home houses an antiques dealership (specializing in Swedish antiques), but is currently for sale.

Nathan Hale Homestead (1776)

nathan-hale-homestead.jpg

coventry.jpg

This Fourth of July we celebrate Connecticut’s State Hero by featuring the Nathan Hale Homestead in Coventry, now a historic house museum operated by Connecticut Landmarks. In 1776, Nathan Hale, who was gathering intelligence for George Washington and the Continental Army, was captured by the British and hanged in New York as a spy. Before his death, he is said to have spoken the famous last words, possibly derived from Addison‘s influential play, Cato, “I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.” In that same year, his father, Deacon Richard Hale, razed and rebuilt the family homestead (the Hales had lived on the property since 1740) to provide more space space. Nathan Hale had been born in the earlier house, built in 1746, and would never see the new house, which was completed a month after his execution. Deacon Richard Hale died in 1802. By the early twentieth century, the house was in disrepair, but was purchased in 1914 and restored by George Dudley Seymour, a lawyer and antiquarian who was great admirer of Natan Hale. He also purchased the nearby Strong-Porter House, home of the uncle of Nathan Hale’s mother. When Seymour died in 1945, the house was bequeathed to the Antiquarian and Landmarks Society, now Connecticut Landmarks.

Today’s Independence Day post at Historic Buildings of Massachusetts is Boston’s Faneuil Hall!