Winsted Y.M.C.A. (1916)

Winsted Y.M.C.A.

The Y.M.C.A. branch in Winsted was first organized in 1887. The opening of the Y.M.C.A. building at 480 Main Street in Winstead was described in the Hartford Courant newspaper on September 3, 1916:

After being two years without the use of a building when the old fashioned dwelling house used for a quarter of a century had outlived its usefulness, the Winsted Young Men’s Christian Association Monday will, open for public inspection the beautiful new structure made possible by the gift of $30,000 in the will of the late Rufus E. Holmes, and a fund of approximately $50,000 raised in a whirlwind campaign among Winsted citizens. […]

The new building is of gray tapestry brick with artificial stone trimmings, of Colonial design, and represents an outlay of $75,000. It Is three stories high, and in appointments is second to none in the state for a town the size of Winchester. The lobby and office are located so that supervision is at all times assured, and is within easy reach of members. The boys and men’s social rooms are apart. The men’s room is fitted with one billiard and three pool tables, and the boys have two tables in their section. The reading rooms are well located and are well supplied with attractive reading materials.

The gymnasium is in reality a separate building, closely connected to the swimming pool. It Is 62 by 48 feet, with a gallery for spectators, and is equipped with the latest Narragansett Machine Company‘s apparatus. The swimming pool Is a little larger than the standard size and will prove one of the greatest attractions in the building, filling a long felt want in the town. […]

Three regulation bowling alleys furnished by the Brunswick-Collendar-Balke Company have been installed in the basement, and a better bowling room is not to be found in this section of the state. The dormitories are located on the third floor, and are sixteen in number, many of than having been engaged before work was started in the construction of the building.

On the second floor is the kitchen and serving room with gas range, china, linen and silverware belonging to the Women’s Auxiliary of the Y.M.C.A. and adjoining is a ladles’ rest room, parlor, lavatory and toilet. On the same floor is the assembly room which may be subdivided into three classrooms by folding doors, and may be used as a banquet room and for entertainments. A moving picture booth has been provided and an up to date machine bought. […]

Plans for the new building were provided by Louis E. Jallade of New York and the construction was under the personal supervision of Morris J. Sullivan of his office. The general contract was awarded to Frank W. Fuller of Torrington, and the superintendent was Frank H. Maher of Winsted, who died while the building was nearing completion. The Hutton Brothers Company of Winsted had the plumbing contract and the E. A. Perkins Company of Torrington did the electrical work.

As mentioned in the article, the gymnasium was in a separate attached building. It was later moved across the street and became the Manchester Feed Mill, but was lost in the 1955 flood.

(more…)

Jonathan Warner House (1703)

Jonathan Warner House in Portland

The earliest part of the house at 613 Main Street in Portland was constructed in 1703 for Jonathan Warner. It was one room over one room with an end chimney (a style typical of Rhode Island). The house was enlarged over the years. Behind the northwest part was a section built in 1764 by sea captain Ithamar Pelton (1744-1806). The south part of the house was added in 1912 by William Gildersleeve.

Main House, Rectory School (1795)

Now comprising part of the “Main House” on the campus of the Rectory School in Pomfret is a house erected circa 1795 for Thomas Grosvenor (1744-1825), a lawyer who served in the Revolutionary War. Wounded in his right hand at the Battle of Bunker Hill, Grosvenor ended the was as a Lieutenant Colonel. The house was remodeled and greatly enlarged in about 1885 by Thomas Skelton Harrison, a Philadelphia industrialist. In 1925, Rev. Frank H. Bigelow and his wife, founders of the Rectory School in 1920, acquired the Harrison estate to become the school’s campus. In the ensuing years they erected a complex of wood-framed colonial revival buildings on the estate, which has been the school’s campus ever since.

Postcard of The Rectory School (Main House)

Greenhaven Inn (1901)

It looks like I posted this building too late. It was demolished a few years ago! A new building was completed on the site in 2022.

Later home to a business and much altered, the building at 595 Greenhaven Road in Pawcatuck was once a restaurant called the Greenhaven Inn. I’m not sure when the house was built (if it’s Colonial or Colonial-Revival). The real estate websites give a date of 1901 but that may not be very precise.

Postcards of the Greenhaven Inn

Boxwood (1842)

Boxwood
Boxwood

The grand residence known as Boxwood, located at 9 Lyme Street in Old Lyme, was built in 1842 for the merchant Richard Sill Griswold (1809-1849). A third story was later added by Richard Sill Griswold, Jr. (1869-1901). In 1890, his wife opened the Boxwood School for Girls in the house. The building had connections with the Old Lyme art colony. The summer Lyme School of Art held studio classes at Boxwood in 1905 and artists could rent rooms in the house while the boarding school students were not in residence. Among the residents that year were the future president Woodrow Wilson and his wife Ellen Axson Wilson, who was enrolled at the art school. When Mrs. Griswold died in 1907 the boarding school closed, but Boxwood Manor continued as a summer inn with its gardens being a celebrated attraction. On Christmas Eve, 1943, James Streeto, the caretaker of the estate, was murdered on the property. The woman he was involved with at the time, Delphine Bertrand, threatened with the death penalty for the murder, pled guilty to the charge of manslaughter, but the charges were dropped when two men later confessed to the murder and were convicted. The inn closed in 1958 and the property was bought by Dr. Matthew Griswold, who altered it into apartments and a restaurant. The Griswold family sold the building in 1975 and it was converted into condominiums.

Postcard of Boxwood Manor
Boxwood School for Girls

Fairfield Hall, WCSU (1917)

Fairfield Hall, on the campus of Western Connecticut State University, is a residence hall built in 1917. The cupola atop the colonial revival-style building was featured on the university’s old logo, before a rebranding in 2018. Fairfield Hall was WCSU’s first residence hall and originally accommodated 84 students, all women. The building was renovated in 1957 with 46 units being added. It was renovated again in 2008 and is now a coed dorm for first year students.