Located in Portland, on Route 66, the Gilbert Stancliff House is an octagon house, a style that was briefly popular in the mid-nineteenth century and gets its name for its eight-sided shape. Octagon houses were promoted by Orson Squire Fowler in his book, The Octagon House, A Home for All. Very few octagon houses survive, with perhaps only 15 or so still standing in Connecticut. The Stancliff House stands side-by-side with another octagon, the Joseph Williams House. They are said to have been built for two brothers. The Stancliff House currently houses doctors’ offices. The exterior was refurbished in 2004, reproducing the original paint colors.
Edward Shepard House (1807)

Edward Shepard, a cabinet-maker from East Haddam, built his Federal-style house in Wethersfield in 1807-8. It was originally located on Main Street, where a commercial block now stands, across from the Deming-Standish House. The Shepard House was moved around the corner in the twentieth century and now stands on Church Street. It was built just a few years after the 1800 adding of Federal embellishments to the Deming-Standish House and the 1804 building of the Federal-style Hurlbut-Dunham House. The Federal style of architecture had certainly arrived on Main Street in Wethersfield in the first decade of the nineteenth century! Shepard ensured that his house had extensive Federal detailing, including an elaborate composition around his front door, with a quite different treatment of the tripartite windows above the entrance than that of his two Federal-style neighbors on Main Street.
Rockville Union Congregational Church (1890)

An excellent example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture, the Rockville Union Congregational Church in Vernon was begun in 1889 and completed the following year. It represents the union of two congregations: In 1888, the First Congregational Church of Rockville sold its land for the building of the Memorial Hall Building, while the Second Congregational Church building was destroyed in a fire. The two voted to combine and build a new church, constructed of stone and designed by Warren H. Hayes of Minneapolis, on the site where the Second Congregational Church had stood.
Buttolph-Williams House (1711)

Built around 1711-1720, on Broad Street in Wethersfield, the Buttolph-Williams House was at one time thought to date to the 1690s, when David Buttolph owned the part of the Buttolph family lot on which the house was built. More recent research of land tax records now indicates that house was most likely built during the period the land was owned by Benjamin Belden, who bought the lot in 1711 and sold it to Daniel Williams in 1721, by which time the presence of a “Dwelling House” is clearly indicated in the records. Although not constructed as early as was once assumed, it is still an excellent example of a seventeenth century-style post-medieval English house and shows that a more traditional style continued to be built in the Connecticut River Valley into the eighteenth century.
What was later known as the “Older Williams House” (which can be seen as it appeared before its restoration in a 1930s photograph) was restored in the 1950s and is considered the most faithful restoration of a house of its type in the CT River Valley. The house also helped to inspire the local author, Elizabeth George Speare, to write her historical novel for young adults, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, which won the Newbery Medal in 1959. The Buttolph-Williams House was used as a model for the house depicted in the book, which takes place in Wethersfield in the 1680s.
Today, the Buttolph-Williams House is open to the public as a house museum, owned by the Antiquarian and Landmarks Society. Tours are conducted by the staff of the Webb-Deane-Stevens Museum.
Peter Burnham House (1757)
Built around 1757, the Peter Burnham House was originally on the opposite side of Marsh Street in Wethersfield. It was moved in the 1960s. The doorway is a unique pedimented example to survive in Wethersfield.
Cathedral of Saint Joseph (1962)
The original Gothic-style St. Joseph’s Cathedral of 1892, built on Farmington Avenue in Hartford and designed by Patrick Keely, burned in 1956. Although the exterior survived, it was decided to completely rebuild in a modern Gothic style utilizing a structure of reinforced concrete and an exterior covering of limestone. The cathedral is notable for the massive frieze over the entrance, featuring St. Joseph, its stained glass windows, made in France, and the ceramic tile mural, located behind the altar, of “Christ in Glory,” which is the largest in the world.
John Chester Tavern (North Half) (1735)

Originally attached to the southern half of the John Chester Tavern, the northern half was moved by his grandchildren to its present location on Garden Street in Wethersfield.