The house at 35 Main Street in Essex was originally built in the late eighteenth century with a gambrel roof. It was enlarged before 1810 by builder Thomas Millard, likely for the newlyweds, Nathaniel Wilson and Temperance Lay.
In 1860, Judson Bushnell (1836-1906) of Ivoryton married Harriet Griswold (1839-1925). In 1872, he erected the house at 32 Main Street in Ivoryton, on land he had purchased from his father-in-law, Edwin Griswold, the partner of Samuel M. Comstock in
The house at 89 Main Street in Ivoryton was built in 1870-1871 by Samuel Merritt Comstock for John Northrop (1836-1897), to whom he sold it in 1874. Comstock was head of the ivory cutting business Comstock, Cheney & Co. Northrop
Chauncey Spencer was a builder who erected a number of tenement houses in the village of Ivoryton in Essex. In 1856 he acquired the land at 3 Main Street in Ivoryton from Dan Parker, whose daughter Temperance he had married
In the later nineteenth century, the section of the Town of Essex, west of the village of Centerbrook would develop into the village of Ivoryton, centered on the manufacturing of ivory products by Comstock, Cheney & Company. In 1871, a
All Saints’ Episcopal Church in Ivoryton was founded in 1895 as St. Mary’s Church, which met in various places, including private homes, until a church was erected at 129 Main Street. Land for the church was given in 1904 to
In the mid-nineteenth century, Ivoryton in Essex developed as a factory village around Comstock, Cheney & Company, manufacturers of products made from ivory. The heirs of company founder Samuel Merritt Comstock, under the leadership of Harriet Comstick, erected the Comstock