Today, Olmsted Street, near the central business district of East Hartford, is in a very built-up area, but over a century ago tobacco was still grown in the immediate vicinity. According to An Architectural History of East Hartford, Connecticut (1989),
The house at 59 Burnside Avenue has been much altered over the years since it was first erected in about 1871. In its early years the house was successively owned by three women. It was built by Margaret Stanley Hills
The house at 90 Central Avenue in East Hartford was built c. 1890. Patrick Garvan had acquired the land in 1871 from Edward Hayden. (It was one of four lots Garvan purchased at the time–the house at 86 Central Avenue
Although vastly altered from its original appearance, the house at 32 Phelps Street in East Hartford is a survivor from c. 1700 and would have once looked like the Buttolph-Williams House in Wethersfield with a large center chimney. It now
The house at 54 Burnside Avenue in East Hartford was built c. 1870 by Andrew Roberts. A carriage maker, Roberts bought the tract of land in March, 1869 and soon took out a $3,000 mortgage, probably to build the house.
Henry G. Beaumont and Joseph Merriman divided the East Hartford estate of J. T. Wells in 1884. On one of his lots, Merriman built the house at 32-34 Wells Avenue in 1888. In 1892 he sold it to Flora Birch,
The house at 103 Olmsted Street in East Hartford is one of several houses on the street with the same basic design, each differentiated by different choices for the decorative trim. The house was built circa 1893 for Julius M.