The house at 66 Greenwood Avenue in Bethel is transitional between the architectural styles of the Greek Revival (note the columns on the front porch) and the Italianate (note the rooftop cupola with curved windows). The house was erected c.
Now used as an attorney’s office, the house at 152 Greenwood Avenue in Bethel was built c. 1845. From at least 1851 until 1867, it was the home of Andrew L. Benedict (born 1822), a New York merchant who also
At 40 Main Street in Bethel is a building known as the Second Meeting House. It was built in 1842 and was indeed the second meeting house to be erected by the First Congregational Church of Bethel. The first meeting
The great showman P. T. Barnum was born in 1810 in a house, built in 1768, at 55 Greenwood Avenue in Bethel. He lived in town until 1834-35. Starting in 1819, his father, Philo Barnum (1780-1825), ran a tavern in
The First Congregational Church of Bethel was first organized in 1759. Captain Ebenezer Hickok gave the land for the first meeting house (built in 1760) and burial ground. The original building, located at the intersection of Main, Maple, and Chestnut
Built in 1883, the church at 239 Greenwood Avenue in Bethel was St. Mary’s Catholic Church for 109 years. The following excerpts are taken from the History of the Diocese of Hartford (1900), by James H. O’Donnell, The Rev. M.
The Putnam House Hotel was built at 12 Depot Place in Bethel in the early 1860s by the Judd family. The Putnam House Restaurant web site says it was built 1852. The land on which the hotel was built was