At 102 Front Street in Noank is a small building with board-and-batten siding that is believed to have been the community’s original railroad station. It was built in 1858, with the completion of the last major section of the Shore
The former home of the Danbury Library, located at 256 Main Street, was built in 1876-1878 and served as the city’s library until the current building was erected at 170 Main Street in 1970. Beginning in 1771, there had been
On October 11, 1898, the Hartford Courant reported an item of news from South Manchester: “The John Wesley Pentecostal Church has begun the erection of a church building on the lot north of Mrs. Catherine Cotter’s house at the center.”
The Gothic Revival house at 69 East Main Street in Clinton was built c. 1870. It is now home to Milone Chiropractic Center.
St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Wethersfield was organized on March 21, 1943 and the congregation initially used a vacant store at 689 Wolcott Hill Road for worship. Outgrowing the store after a few months, the congregation acquired the Griswold House
Universal Food Stores was an early grocery chain that had branches throughout southeastern Connecticut. Most of the stores had individual owners who joined a cooperative agreement to sell goods wholesaled by Yantic Grain and Products Co. of Norwich under the
Built in 1883, the church at 239 Greenwood Avenue in Bethel was St. Mary’s Catholic Church for 109 years. The following excerpts are taken from the History of the Diocese of Hartford (1900), by James H. O’Donnell, The Rev. M.