The house at 16-18 Spring Street in Bristol was built in 1883 (or perhaps as early as 1870?). It was designed by the Bristol architect Joel T. Case. It later became the home of Edward Dutton Rockwell (1855-1925), who came to Bristol in 1888 with his brother Albert F. Rockwell. Their New Departure Bell Company grew into one of the largest bell factories in America and the largest producer of ball bearings in the world. E.D. Rockwell later left New Departure to become manager of the Liberty Bell Company. The house has lost its original Italianate tower and second-floor porch.
Happy New Year! We start the new year with an Italianate house in Bristol. Located at 19-21 Spring Street, it was built by Joel T. Case in 1881 and was the home of Walter E. Strong, owner of the South Side Market. The house is also known as the Arnold House.
The Harry Bartholomew House, at 341 Main Street in Bristol, was designed by architect Joel Case. There is a local story, according to which Bartholomew was already building the Italianate house when he met Joel Case outside. Case told him the house needed a tower and Bartholomew immediately had the workers begin building one. The entire house, though, is very much in Case’s style of architecture.
Morse Richtmeyer of the Ideal Laundry was the first resident of the house at 38 Spring Street in Bristol. The house was built circa 1886 by the noted Bristol builder Joel T. Case. In later years, the house’s Italianate cupola was removed, but more recently it has been restored.
Completed in 1794, the tavern operated by Abel Lewis and his wife, Ruth, on Maple Street in Bristol, served patrons into the nineteenth century and was the venue for public dances. Abel and Ruth were the parents of Miles Lewis, who lived nearby. In 1890, the property was purchased by the Bristol Builder Joel T. Case, who Victorianized the house, adding a roof dormer, porches and decorative trim and siding.
Castle Largo is an unusual edifice, located at the intersection of Center and Main Streets in the Federal Hill area of Bristol. A miniature castle featuring elements of the Gothic Revival, Italianate and Second Empire styles, it was constructed in three stages in 1880 and is one of a number of interesting houses in Bristol designed by the local inventor Joel T. Case. After living in it for a few months, Case sold it to Charles Henry Wightman, a 24-year-old businessman.