The Hartford Club was founded in 1873 as a union of several local clubs and soon developed a reputation as a literary club: Samuel Clemens joined in 1881. By the turn-of-the-century, the Club was focused on serving the political and business community of the state. In its early decades, the Hartford Club rented a series of increasingly larger spaces on Prospect Street. After merging with the Colonial Club in 1901, the enlarged Club built a new clubhouse at 46 Prospect Street. Designed by Robert D. Andrews of the architectural firm of Andrews, Jacques and Rantoul, the Georgian Revival clubhouse was opened in 1904.
Colonial Revival, Hartford, Organizations