Anson J. Allen House (1834)

May 17th, 2011 Posted in Greek Revival, Houses, New Hartford

The house at 398 Main Street in the Pine Meadow section of New Hartford was built in 1834 as a Greek Revival house. Alterations in the Italianate style, including the addition of the front porch, were made around 1874. By that time, the house was owned by Anson J. Allen. With his brother, Samuel Allen, Anson owned a brass foundry begun by their brother Philemon. Selling the foundry in 1867, Samuel, as senior partner, and Anson operated a mercantile business in Pine Meadow. Samuel’s nearby Greek Revival house is at 405 Main Street. Anson J. Allen was born in Barkhamsted, educated at the Connecticut Literary Institute at Suffield (now Suffield Academy), and served in the state legislature. His house is now a bed & breakfast called the Pine Meadow House.

Post a Comment