The Isaac C. Lewis House (1868)

March 29th, 2011 Posted in Chateauesque, Houses, Meriden, Second Empire

The Meriden Britannia Company was established in 1852. It produced the durable Britannia ware, which by the 1850s had replaced pewter in most American homes. Isaac C. Lewis was president of the company for fourteen years and served as mayor of Meriden from 1870 to 1872. Lewis built a mansion at 189 East Main Street in 1868. In 1950, the house was purchased by the Polish League of American Veterans and was used as a funeral home from 1998 to 2006. The house has since been vacant.

  1. One Response to “The Isaac C. Lewis House (1868)”

  2. By Kim Morris on Jan 24, 2012

    Fall of 2011 a Mosque was given permission to purchase and use the building as a religious center, meeting space, and apartment above.

Post a Comment