Stevens-Frisbie House (1854)

May 31st, 2008 Posted in Cromwell, Houses, Italianate

stevens-frisbie-house.jpg

The Stevens-Frisbie House is an Italianate-style home built in 1853-1854 at the intersection of Main Street and New Lane in Cromwell. It was built by John Stevens, who came to Cromwell in the 1830s and, with his brother Elisha, founded the J & E Stevens Company, which manufactured hardware and toys, including mechanical banks. After John Stevens’s death, his widow sold the house to Russel Frisbie in 1892. Frisbie was superintendent of J & E Stevens and had lived in a neighboring house on Main Street since 1873. The house was passed down in the Frisbie family, until it was bequeathed, with all of its Victorian-era furnishings, to the Cromwell Historical Society in 1968. It now serves as the Society’s headquarters and is open to the public for tours as a historic house museum. The most significant alteration to the house has been the turn-of-the-century addition of a Colonial Revival-style front porch.

Stevens-Frisbie House

  1. 2 Responses to “Stevens-Frisbie House (1854)”

  2. By steadyjohn on May 31, 2008

    Yes, there are several other similarly styled homes in that neighborhood. Nice photograph.

  1. 1 Trackback(s)

  2. Jun 4, 2008: Historic Buildings of Connecticut » Blog Archive » The Joseph W. Waters House (1865)

Post a Comment